cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

2D Objects on Parts

ptc-1093893
1-Newbie

2D Objects on Parts

I have a need to bring in a 2D object and place it on the surface of a 3D part. The 2D object would be the artwork for a printed circuit board which has the component outlines and designators. Typically, this can be exported as DXF. The model would be of the printed circuit board. Under "Sketch" the only formats allowed are "DWG", "DRW", or "IGS". I converted the "DXF" to a "DRW" by bringing it into a Pro/E drawing, but there are so many little segments, it took forever to try and align the graphic, which I gave up on. What works best here? Has anyone already solved this problem? Thank you.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi David, If the input is DXF or IGES, create a coordinate system within the part and import the DXF or IGES data alligned to this coordinate system. The location of the coordinate system can be modified to get the location of the imported data in the right place. Don't even try bringing it into a sketch as it'll usually be a nightmare of dimension and alignment assumptions and way too many entities. Just leave it as an imported feature. Steve
Top Tags