cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Assembly lines

kmaltzahn
1-Newbie

Assembly lines

Hello i am using WF5 to create plastics parts and the tooling. i have been asked to do a assembly line and have not done anything llike this before. the question is can i do this with WF5 or is there and extension that i would have to buy. thanks for any info would be helpful

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Kevin, please expand on your question. "Assembly line" has a lot of connotations.

it would be roller convyors, inspection stations. weight stations in side a manufacture plant

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:kmaltzahn)

Are you designing all of these things or are they purchased pieces of equipment? If so, can you get CAD from your vendors?

Do you need to do a priliminary foot print drawing in order to have the layout of the plant or are you being asked to complete a 3D mockup of the facility so that you can a "fly-by" with a video camera.

Are you going to be using manakins to show how someone will stand at the machines?

What is the purpose of the project? Some questions that will need to be answered to get the full scope.

Thanks, Dale

It is going to start off with the footprint for space allocations inside current plant. then moving forward with purchased parts and designed pieces of line. part of it will be linking up with parts that are in place already.

i have been doing this with autocad 2D. part want to move away from that and do everthing in WF5

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:kmaltzahn)

The scope and time frame of the project needs to be set up front. You can do something like this with WF5/Creo, but it depends upon the level of detail that your boss or above is requiring (managing expecations). You can start with one work cell. Was it purchased? If so, does the vendor have 3D cad for it. You may be able to get this if it was a custom machine/work cell.

Otherwise it will be a lot of measuring and tweaking in order to get it like you want. I have not done any major manufacturing projects with Pro, but have known serveral that have.

Not sure of the size of the department. I am the engineering department where I work, so it would be a major thing here, but if the size of your department is small, maybe look to a college or university in the area to have a work study project to get some of the measuring and basics done (with lots of oversight).

Thanks, Dale

I'm going to suggest that the potential suppliers would be falling over themselves to come up with proposals. I would leverage their tools and expertise to come up with a plan. They will likely be able to provide an output format from their tools in a lightweight format that you can import to your "facilities" drawing. This is a more than reasonable means to your end.

There is a lot to this and suppliers for this kind of equipment are already in tune with requirements such as OSHA (worker safety and ergonomics) and NFPA79 (fire protection code for wiring equipment), etc.

If you are developing the equipment, now that is a different story. Yes, you would want a good plan on how to manage a huge project scope. As Dale suggests, this is a huge undertaking.

Top Tags