cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Assembly-only related Engineering Item Numbers?

DW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Assembly-only related Engineering Item Numbers?

New PTCC user here...

I'm wondering if there is a way to pre-assign engineering item numbers to Parameters for given parts or sub assemblies within an assembly, that won't be attached to the actual part, only specific to the current assembly - so that fixing the Index is an unneccesary step?

In other words, I don't want to cause an issue with the Eng. Item No. for same part beig used in a different assembly.

Currently running Wildfire 4, but updating to Creo in a month.

Thanks,

Don W.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
DW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:DW)

Part of the madness of this method would be to avoid having to fix the index in any number of sheets of a drawing.

If you could fix them in the parameters, you wouldn't need to do so in the drawing, for every view on every sheet.

At work, we use an external database for our bill of materials and engineering item numbers, and it would make sense to have that driving the Pro-E model BOM data.

BuddyHudson
1-Newbie

Hey Don,

We are in the exact same boat here @ Atlas. I have been trying to find a way to do this as well, so if you find out any useful info please forward to me. I agree, the fix index solution is terrible. I have also found that if there is any replacement of a part number in the bill, the index for the object that was replaced disappears. The only way to get it back is unfix the index by record. If you have any additional suggestions on this topic, I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Buddy Hudson

DW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:BuddyHudson)

Hey Buddy,

The only other thing I can think of would have to come from PTC engineers. There would have to be a BOM that is acessible by the user and the index numbers assigned in there similar to Parameters. Every part brought into the assembly could have an index number assigned by the user. I just don't get why it has to be done in the drawing on EVERY sheet. Ron Popeil has the right idea... "Set it, and Forget It".

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite

Hi have a look to

Do you currently have an attribute that contains the same information as Part Usage Line Number or Find Number ?

Some capabilties to map "ProE component parameters" in Windchill BOM link IBAs ...

but not yet OOTBox BOM line numbers

Top Tags