cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Assembly save error

JuanGonzalez
4-Participant

Assembly save error

Any users on Creo build 7.0.2.0 having problems with family table parts not allowing saves, of   assemblies where used?  We have an intermittent problem with this, where Creo is not saving when trying to save an assembly where there are family parts structured under it. The issue is intermittent, where the user may be working and saving an assembly for hours or days and never preset itself, then then out of the blue, it stops saving.  The family table parts are regenerated and verified and unmodified.  Not all users experience this problem, only a handful out of ~18. The Family Table parts are shared down from PDM to Project folders. Users working in Creo build 7.0.0.0, do not experience this issue.  The family table parts are all assembled in “generic state”.

The work-around is to delete all the family table parts from their lower level subassemblies.  After deleting all the family table parts from their respective parent assemblies, the top-level assembly is able to be saved.  This is not a problem, because we have no intention of checking in these subassemblies back to the Project or PDM, as these are shared to the Project folders.   

We are using Creo version 7.0.2.0 and Windchill version 12.

Thanks, Juan

8 REPLIES 8
remy
21-Topaz I
(To:JuanGonzalez)

Hi Juan,

When you say: 

@JuanGonzalez wrote:

family table parts not allowing saves,

Do you mean that the save button is greyed out or that despite saving nothing happens? or another scenario?

JuanGonzalez
4-Participant
(To:remy)

Hi Remi,

The scenario, In a Creo session, I have a top assembly open which I am updating.  I also open parts used in this same assembly and I modify them,  When you go to save your top level assembly, it should save the top level assembly and any modified parts and subassemblies that have not been saved.  The save button is not greyed out, but when you click it you get a notice in status window (lower left side of the browser window) saying, file XXXX, could not be saved to the workspace.  You get a notice for each modified file Creo is trying to "save", including the top assembly.  You can save each individual part on its own.  Its just when saving the top level or any sub-assembly with a family table part, that nothing underneath those assemblies will save (including the assemblies).

Thanks, Juan

remy
21-Topaz I

Your helpful description make me realize that the error message being a Windchill message, casts the possibility that this is a Creo-Windchill Interaction issue. 

By chance can you download the whole model on hard drive, disconnect Windchill server and retry your scenario. Does the issue happens here too? 
This test will enable, by elimination, to know if the issue lays solely with Creo or not.

JuanGonzalez
4-Participant

I have not tried that, as we work in Windchill,  I will do that later today and provide the results.  Thanks for the suggestion,  Juan

Do you use ModelCheck?

We found that parts do not check in right when using Creo 7.0.5.0 and it was fixed in 7.0.7.0.

Hi Ben,  Yes, I believe we do use ModelCheck.  I believe our admin set it up a while back.  We haven't seen checkin issues yet, the only issue is the intermittent "save" fails related to "family table" parts.

Thanks, Juan

JuanGonzalez
4-Participant

I downloaded the top assembly and saved to hard-drive and disconnected from the WC Server.  I was able to save, but then that is common, the issue is intermittent it doesn't always present itself, sometimes you can go weeks or months with having an issue. I was thinking it was a bug  in Creo,, but I am only guessing as I am not an admin.  I also tried to get the issue to present itself in my workspace when connected to the WC Server and no luck there either.  This happens in recently created workspaces and older ones too.

Thanks, Juan 

remy
21-Topaz I

The issue was not replicate offline and the steps to replicate it look random.
I recommend to file Creo Windchill Interaction case to make sure not to miss anything.

Top Tags