cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

CG calculation

ManojWaghmode
1-Newbie

CG calculation

hello,

I have calculated CG of assembly ASM1 with respective cs0.

also the CG of all child part of Assembly ASM1 wrt cs0.

Now i am taking the avarage of x y and z coordinate of all parts CG and comparing it with the CG- xyz of Assembly ASM1.

the values are different.

can any one please let me know am i doing right practice.

if not please let me know which is correct processes to calculate the CG of assembly if i know the CG of all child.

Regards,

Manoj.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Imagine a 10 lb. cube adjacent to a 1lb. cube of the same material; the CG is not the average of the 2. Then when you assemble parts of different densities ...

Thanks for the reply,

Can you please let me know how it is calculated?

Thanks again,

Manoj,

Well, briefly, the actual calculation involves a triple integral summation of density dxdydz. However, that may not be what you really are asking.

Think of parent and child on a see-saw. Dad's cg is in the middle of his body, say 4 feet from the pivot; his daughter's cg is on the other side, say 6 feet

from the pivot. The average of these two cg locations is 1 foot from the pivot on the daughter's side, but, obviously, the combined cg is not there but at the pivot itself, distance zero.

Not to confuse the issue, but, technically, what is being calculated by the software is center of mass, not center of gravity. In a gravitational field they are

not identical because the mass which is "lower" in the field has a greater effect. Thus the moon's center of gravity is closer to earth than its center of mass.

But that's just gratuitous nerdiness for the sake of completeness; we don't have a gravitational field at play within the ProE modeling environment, so center of mass and center of gravity are coincident.

David

Thank a lot David.

Top Tags