cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Cannot revolve the sketch

DV_10990576
2-Guest

Cannot revolve the sketch

I am trying to make a tire and cannot find what is wrong with my sketch. Also, it does not suggest anything. I have used the revolve tool before but I am very inexperienced with the program. I am also doing this without any sketch, so measures could be wrong.

Annotation 2024-03-12 224957.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It looks like you have 4 centerlines in your sketch (purple).
If I remember correctly, this first one created is automatically the axix of revolution, unless otherwise specified (right mouse button menu on a center line -> Designate Axis of Revolution).
So my guess is, that currently a non compatible centerline is the dedicated axis of revolution,
Instead of a sketch internal axis, also an entity outside of the sketch can be selected as the axis of revolution in the Reolve feature dialogue. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello,

You will need to use Centerline from Datum tab and put it in horizontal line where you want to have center.

If you wanted to rotate the sketch around vertical axis, then you will need to remove half of the sketch and close the open ends.

Hopefully this helps.

Constantin
13-Aquamarine
(To:bobarn)

Dis not see your reply for some reason, but we came to the same conclusion.
He mentions a revolved tire, so I am quite sure he wants to revolve around the bottom horizontal axis.

I agree, there are more solutions to this problem.

It looks like you have 4 centerlines in your sketch (purple).
If I remember correctly, this first one created is automatically the axix of revolution, unless otherwise specified (right mouse button menu on a center line -> Designate Axis of Revolution).
So my guess is, that currently a non compatible centerline is the dedicated axis of revolution,
Instead of a sketch internal axis, also an entity outside of the sketch can be selected as the axis of revolution in the Reolve feature dialogue. 

Thank you so much! As you said it was that a centerline was selected as the axis but it was not compatible. I thought maybe having that much centerlines could affect the sketch but didnt knew how to remove them so i just imagined that it would not matter after. Any way to remove the ones that I dont need? two of them are points in the sketch used as guide to join some lines but I dont really need them in the sketch now.

You can leave all centerlines.
In the sketcher select the one you want to revolve around. Keep the right mousbutton pressed and select 'Designate Axis of Revolution'.
Alternatively create the centerline under 'Datum' as your axis of revolution. This will then always be the main axis, no matter the order of creation or how many other 'construction centerlines' you have.

Hi,

please play uploaded video.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags