cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo+ / Windchill relation and future updates

JKanters1989
4-Participant

Creo+ / Windchill relation and future updates

Hi,

With the announcement of Creo+ (which is getting me really excited for the future of CAD and PTC taking the lead) I'm wondering, how do the 2 products relate to each other?

We are using Creo Parametric with Windchill at the moment. Will moving to Creo+ at some point eliminate the need for Windchill?  And will the files and its features be compatible / exchangeable with one another?

Happy to see your answers,

Jeroen

13 REPLIES 13

@JKanters1989 wrote:

Hi,

With the announcement of Creo+ (which is getting me really excited for the future of CAD and PTC taking the lead) I'm wondering, how do the 2 products relate to each other?

We are using Creo Parametric with Windchill at the moment. Will moving to Creo+ at some point eliminate the need for Windchill?  And will the files and its features be compatible / exchangeable with one another?

Happy to see your answers,

Jeroen

Hi,

it would be better to ask your PTC VAR from whom you purchased the software.

My tips:

• currently Creo+ data are saved in Creo Parametric 10.0.0.0 format
  • Creo+ does not eliminate the need for Windchill

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:MartinHanak)

To be clear Creo+ does not have a version format that relates to Creo parametric. You will not be able to open up a Creo+ model with on-prem Creo parametric without a translator.

Hi,

I am almost sure that I read that Creo+ =  Creo Parametric 10.0, now. In 2024 it will be Creo Parametric 11.0, and so on.

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise

Creo+ is a rolling release of features. PTC is going to implement new features as the dev team completes them. If a new feature comes out in Creo+ there is no way that on-prem Creo Parametric is going to know what to do with those new features. The new features will eventually be rolled out in the next major on-prem release of Creo (yearly) but by that point Creo+ may have even newer features. As such they will never be compatible.

My knowledge is based on the PTC/User conference in October so its possible things have changes since then but that is what PTC said at that conference.

PTC was going to come out with a plugin similar to the GRANITE Interoperability Kernel that they used to have that will freeze Creo+ models so they can be opened up in on-prem version but Creo+ features will be read only (again this may have changed since Oct).

Hi,

on https://www.ptc.com/en/news/2023/ptc-brings-creo-to-cloud-with-introduction-of-creo-plus page there is following sentence:

Creo+ is fully upwards compatible from on-premises versions of Creo and is built on the same core technology as Creo, so no data translation is needed.

Martin Hanák

I opened Case at PTC Support and Support Engineer gave me following information:

1.] Creo+ is still in pre-release status (Alpha/Beta program)

2.] Because of pre-release status data created in Creo Parametric 10.0.0.0 on prem can be opened in Creo+ pre-release

3.] Because of pre-release status data created in Creo+ pre-release cannot be opened in Creo Parametric 10.0.0.0 on prem

I asked for information on data compatibility between Creo Parametric 10.0.0.0 on prem and future Creo+ RELEASED version

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

With item 2, it looks like PTC is making it easy to migrate from on-premise Creo to Creo+.

Does Creo+ have the same level of project sharing that you get with OnShape?

@BenLoosli wrote:

With item 2, it looks like PTC is making it easy to migrate from on-premise Creo to Creo+.

Does Creo+ have the same level of project sharing that you get with OnShape?

Hi,

I would expect that PTC "copied" project sharing used for OnShape and applied it to Creo+ project. However, this is only my guess.

Martin Hanák

PC Support informed me that there are no plans to implement Creo+ data compatibility with Creo Parametric. This means native Creo+ data will not be able to load into Creo Parametric. As workaround users will use STEP, JT, Neutral files to transfer models to Creo Parametric.

Martin Hanák

The question that remains for me now: will there be 2 streams (Parametric 10, 11 and so on) and Creo+, Creo+ 2 and so on

Or is Creo+ simply the followup for 9 / 10?

@JKanters1989 wrote:

The question that remains for me now: will there be 2 streams (Parametric 10, 11 and so on) and Creo+, Creo+ 2 and so on

Or is Creo+ simply the followup for 9 / 10?

Hi,

following notes are my guess, only ...

When you use Creo Parametric then you can select exact release (eg. 10.0.0.0), install it and use it as long as you want.

When you will use Creo+, PTC will keep updating it and you won't be able to control it.

Upon release, Creo+ will use the core features of Creo Parametric 10.0.0.0.

After Creo Parametric 10.0.1.0 is released, Creo+ will use core features of Creo Parametric 10.0.1.0 ... and so on.

There will be 2 streams because of one-sided data compatibility:

• Creo+ files will not be openable in Creo Parametric
  • Creo Parametric files will be openable in Creo+

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise

PTC explained this at the last PTC User conference. Here is what they said:

Creo+ will not have any versioning scheme that will match Creo Parametric. Because they are going to add in features all the time you will not be able to open a Creo+ file in Creo parametric on prem without ReleaseLink. ReleaseLink has some documentation here:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS373979 

PTC said that ReleaseLink was going to be similar to the GRANITE-based Cross-Release Interoperability plugin that they used to support before they rolled out multibody and broke it. In essence, you will be able to open on-Prem Creo Parametric files in Creo+ but if you want to open Creo+ files with the on-Prem Creo Parametric then all of the features will be frozen and you will not be able to edit them.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:JKanters1989)

PTC will tell you that Creo+ is meant to work best with Windchill+

They can both be externally managed and in the cloud.

Top Tags