cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creo parametric 9 - How to change the default position of a part brought into assembly mode

ptc-4903149
2-Guest

Creo parametric 9 - How to change the default position of a part brought into assembly mode

When initially bringing a part into an assembly using "main Window" mode, but prior to placing the part, can you change the default incoming position relative to the assembly, maybe there is a config setting that allows the new part to appear in the current window? Why am I asking - On large assemblies, the new incoming part enters the assembly model very far from where I want to place it (way off screen). it takes a lot of mouse work to drag it over to where it needs to be placed. Why am I not using the "Separate Window" mode in assembly? Because the separate window mode is quirky and difficult to use (parts almost always end up upside down or end up being unassembleable forcing one to use the main-window mode.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

Creo does not enable you to set default position.

Martin Hanák

Thanks for your input, but I found out recently that there is a way to do what I am asking.

After I posted this question, I learned about the configuration option: "comp_assemble_start" which you should set to "move_then_place".

With this option activated, new items will enter your assembly glued to your mouse cursor instead of appearing very far away. I was also embarrassed to learn that this config option has bee around since the Wildfire days (over 15 years ago), but then I had been using the program before the revolutionary Wildfire version.

There is a drawback to this config option which I elaborate on in a follow-up post to my original post.

After I posted this question, I learned about the configuration option: "comp_assemble_start" which you should set to "move_then_place".  With this option activated, new items will enter your assembly glued to your mouse cursor instead of appearing very far away.  I was also embarrassed to learn that this config option has bee around since the Wildfire days (over 15 years ago), but then I had been using the program before the revolutionary Wildfire version.

HOWEVER - The configuration command "comp_assemble_start" set to "move_then_place" has a drawback.  

Keep in mind that the screen mouse cursor only defines 2 of the 3 spatial locational dimensions meaning that while an incoming assembly item looks like it is near a particular object in an existing assembly, because it is glued to the mouse cursor, it's position relative to the view screen (computer monitor) is not fixed and will, most likely, be very far away from where you think it is along an axis perpendicular to the view screen.

Therefore, before bringing a particular item into your assembly, be sure to use the View "orient" command to rotate the assembly such a flat face on an existing part near the intended insertion point is parallel to the screen.  

Then, when you bring in your item, and after using the left mouse button to get the new item close to its final destination, use the assembly constraint "coincide" to lock one of the item's faces to the assembly face that is parallel to the screen.  This locks the 3'rd coordinate to the desired location.  You will probably then need to delete this constraint and then perform the normal assembly process.

If you don't do this, your item will often disappear from the screen during assembly because the software will not have properly set the 3'rd spatial dimension.
Top Tags