cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Family Table Cell Oddities

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Family Table Cell Oddities

The disappearing cursor is being worked on, but now I have had another oddity come up in family table cells.

The IT department has recommended that I check with PTC on this for possible RAM allocation error.

The issues is that I had a MasterCAM logo show up in (2) of my family table cells. It is not very repeatable.

I took a screen dump so here are two snippets of the family table:

Dale_Rosema_0-1698335326475.png

Dale_Rosema_1-1698335341745.png

Thanks,

Dale

11 REPLIES 11
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Have you rebooted your workstation recently?

I find some of those 'can't explain weirdness' to be caused by memory allocation issues where Creo does not release all memory when it closes. A reboot is the only way to free up that memory.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

Shut it down every Friday. Boot it anew every Monday.

How often does everyone else reboot there systems?

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I restart every night and shut it down on Fridays.

Also, be aware that with many newer systems, shutdown does not create a restart when you start up the computer the next day.  Shutdown is more like a deep sleep for the computer to enable a quicker start up and does not clear the memory.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:kdirth)

I thought that is why they added "sleep" vs "shutdown" where the latter preforms a restart.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I am going by what my son, the computer geek, told me.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I restart every night prior to going home. There have been countless times I have been asked to help someone and it turns out they have had a model open for days/weeks/months and everything has become completely irrational!!! 

I only shut down on occasion, mostly if i have odd issues that don't seem reasonable!!!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

I find that I might have 15 windows or so open at closing, so that is why I do the Friday thing. It's just me (and and intern), so I don't have to worry about drawings be open for weeks/months. I reboot the 2nd computer every Monday when I get in.

Did the geek son explain the difference between sleep, shutdown and restart?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

From our IT company:

Sleep - basically turn off power but doesn't clear any memory or shut down apps.

Restart  - closes apps and powers off but doesn't totally clear cache to that you can get a faster restart.

Shutdown - clear everything and powers down. Fresh boot when starting back up.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The reboot question is one of the first things I ask my users when they ask for help with something random and/or weird.

As for me, I used to reboot every Friday before heading home and making sure the workstation comes back before walking out the door. About a month ago, it did not restart and IT had to go in set some system parameters to rebuild the computer on reboot. Took 2 reboots for the system to come back and allow me to login. Been reluctant to reboot since then. 

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

It didn't last long, but I had a brief event within the first hour or two on Monday.

You took a "screen dump" of the "big dump" Creo took in your family table.  Got it!🤣

That is bizarre though, never had anything like that happen, never thought something like that COULD happen.  Sounds like maybe a graphics card issue?  I had these weird "sparklies" all over my screen recently, not just in Creo but across everything including my background.  Manually turned the power off, waited a few minutes, fired it back up, and problem solved.

Best of luck!

Top Tags