cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Filling welding problem

bmancini
13-Aquamarine

Filling welding problem

Hi,
I wish I could represent a weld to completely fill this opening.
I tried to use plug/Slot Weld but the feature doesn't work for me.

bmancini_0-1681314044088.png

At best I can get a fillet weld this way but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

bmancini_2-1681314066045.png

Can anyone help me?

P.S. I'm using Creo 9.0.2.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bmancini
13-Aquamarine
(To:bmancini)

I found a solution by myself.

bmancini_0-1681480634398.png

This is the procedure i defined:

- Open the part with the opening.

bmancini_2-1681481888535.png

- Create a curve and fill it to create a closing surface of the opening.

bmancini_4-1681481909926.png

- Select the three faces of the opening and press CTRL+C and CTRL+V to create a copy of surfaces.

bmancini_5-1681482028696.png

- Select the fill feature and the surface copy and merge them with the "Merge" command.
N.B. In order for the next "Slot/Plug Weld" to be created, the surface copy feature must appear before the fill feature.

bmancini_6-1681482088483.png

Otherwise the weld will not be created and this error message will appear: 

bmancini_8-1681482237285.png

- Open the asm, create the "slot/plug welding" by first selecting the base and then the side surfaces previously created.

If anyone else has a better solution to point me to, I'd be very happy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bmancini
13-Aquamarine

I found a solution by myself.

bmancini_0-1681480634398.png

This is the procedure i defined:

- Open the part with the opening.

bmancini_2-1681481888535.png

- Create a curve and fill it to create a closing surface of the opening.

bmancini_4-1681481909926.png

- Select the three faces of the opening and press CTRL+C and CTRL+V to create a copy of surfaces.

bmancini_5-1681482028696.png

- Select the fill feature and the surface copy and merge them with the "Merge" command.
N.B. In order for the next "Slot/Plug Weld" to be created, the surface copy feature must appear before the fill feature.

bmancini_6-1681482088483.png

Otherwise the weld will not be created and this error message will appear: 

bmancini_8-1681482237285.png

- Open the asm, create the "slot/plug welding" by first selecting the base and then the side surfaces previously created.

If anyone else has a better solution to point me to, I'd be very happy.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Aside from creo welding, in the real world, what are your intentions with this weld?  Are you really looking for that shape? I wouldn't like it as a welder. 

I understand that sometimes we do stuff that isn't easy but it's necessary.

***EDIT-I'm not a welder, I have made some welds before...100% of them have been removed and replaced by a qualified welder!!!***😂

bmancini
13-Aquamarine
(To:StephenW)

But that's exactly what I'm actually looking for.
In some assemblies made with interlocking laser-cut plates, we need to create these cavities to then be filled with welding and ground smooth.
We usually fit sheet metal with thicknesses not exceeding 4mm, so these cavities have a maximum section of 4mm x 4mm, which I think is not too much to be filled and ground smooth.

N.B. I'm new to solder symbology, which solder/symbol should I use?
Reviewing the symbol I think the most suitable is this one where I added the smooth finish.

bmancini_0-1681484553461.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

My experience is with AWS welding symbols. I am not familiar with ISO symbols (as you are showing).

The line across the top of the plug weld is called contour where what you show is "flush". On AWS, if you don't put a finish designator, you're just asking for it to be welded to approx flush with no processing afterwards. The designator would be a letter above the flush line, G for grind, M for machined....there are several.

If you required a specific process, you'll need to look up the ISO symbol options.

These all have a "cost" or "time" associated to them so you wouldn't want to specific random finishing unless you required that operation.

StephenW_0-1681486487179.png

bmancini
13-Aquamarine
(To:StephenW)

Meanwhile, thank you for being able to compare with you.
Yes, I agree with you it is necessary to indicate the "Contourn". In the ISO standard the Contourn is much more simplified, it looks like this.

bmancini_1-1681488657197.png

Top Tags