cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Hiding empty layers in the layer tree

dguidry
5-Regular Member

Hiding empty layers in the layer tree

We deal with large assemblies and have several default layers. We would like to be able to hide empty layers in the layer tree display to make the layer tree easier to work. We cannot figure out how to hide empty layers from the tree.

4 REPLIES 4

Darren! Not often I see a fellow coworker on here. This may be what you are after:

Isolate the layers that are empty

1. Select all empty layers in the layer tree.
  2. Click on layers.JPG and select Isolate.
  3. In the tree click on layers2.JPG and uncheck "isolate"

Selected layers are now hidden....you can also choose to hide the layers and remove hidden layers from the tree.

Before you do this, you may also want to nest all empty layers into a "Empty_Layers" layer. This will allow you to do the above and hide them but still have quick access to the empty layers if needed. Below is an example. The layers under (empty layers...they're not empty, just an example) are hidden from the top level of layers because they are isolated yet I can still access and organize them easily via the empty layers layer.

layers3.JPG

Hope that works for you.

dguidry
5-Regular Member
(To:dguidry)

I should have said "filter out" empty layers. What I am interested in is a less cluttered layer tree. Hiding or not hiding layers that are empty is a) not important, and b) why users want the layers there (so they can have them be at a hidden status by default as you add items). I would like my layer tree clean like it is when you delete hidden layers (or just have no empty layers).

In the example I posted above you can see the effect of the isolate layer status and "filtering" them from being viewed in the layer tree. The layers under "empty_layers" are not seen in the layer tree above it....I only added a nested layer to allow easy access and organization to the layers that are no longer visible in the tree. Layers inside of layers.

By applying a hidden or isolate status to a layer and unchecking the option to view them from the tree, you are effectively filtering them from view in the tree. It's similar to suppressing items from the model tree and then unchecking the option to view suppressed items from the model tree. All layers that you choose are "turned off" from being viewed in the layer tree. This reduces the clutter in your layer tree and allows you to organize how you choose without affecting the layers of all the subassemblies and subcomponents.

Hugo-KTM
12-Amethyst
(To:dguidry)

Maybe you can use this: Filter Out "Empty" Layers

Top Tags