cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How can I calculate sheetmetal Length

yhuang-2
9-Granite

How can I calculate sheetmetal Length

I set K factor in my sheetmetal model. But I don't know How can I check the sheetmetal length is correct or incorrect ?

I find the K factor formula But I calculate the flat length from K factor formula in the Creo Help.

That is different with result in Creo .

Below Picture

Picture A : add the flat, I use K factor :  0.5

A.png

Picture B : What is the formula that can calcalate the sheetmetal length ?

B.png

model in the attach

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:yhuang-2)

It's been years since I've done these calculations but with a K factor of .5, that is exactly in the middle of your material so if you sketched a "centerline" between your inside radius and your outside radius, you could just measure that length (or calculate that length using perimeter of an arc) plus the straight length on either side.

From a manufacturing standpoint, that would be wrong. Sheet metal stretches as it is bent so it's not exactly a centerline. Depending on your manufacturing, your K factor should probably be anywhere from .33 to .45. It all depends on what material is being bent and what manufacturing method is being used. I can't tell you what K factor you need to use.

Google how to calculate bend allowance. The math is not difficult but knowing the material and manufacturing method is very important to get accurate results.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

When I worked a lot with sheetmetal and A36 steel, we used a K-factor of .44.

Don't forget that Creo uses the Y-factor, from which the K-factor is calculated.

I have this a good introduction to understanding bending.

http://www.cutterod.com/cutter_zone/General/bending.pdf

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:yhuang-2)

Calculation:

Blank Length (1 bend) = base length - inside radius - thickness + leg length - inside radius - thickness + (.5 x 3.14 x (inside radius + (thickness x K-factor)))

This matched the Creo flat pattern when I tried it.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags