cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Internal and external helical spline

JK_9273484
1-Newbie

Internal and external helical spline

Dear all,

I have searched the PTC and this user community portal for help in creating parametric internal and external spline parts. There are many posts on these but none of them have a solution.

Has anyone solved or found an easy method to generate internal and external helical splines?

Thanks and regards,

Jay

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

I am sorry I do not know what is:

• internal helical spline
  • external helical spline

Martin Hanák

Hi,

Attached is the image of the shaft and hub connection with a helical spline.

Thanks,

Jay

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:JK_9273484)

I would do that as an assembly with a skeleton part in there with curves in the skeleton part driving the shape of the teeth (with clearance) and the helix.  It LOOKS like the section is normal to the long axis, not the helical trajectory, though I may be wrong.  You can sweep features with the section normal to the spine with the option: "Normal To Trajectory", or remain constant to a reference using the option: "Constant Normal Direction", in your case the flat end.  You can do a straight spine for your trajectory and use trajpar in the section relations for the twist (simplest), or you can wrap a curve around a cylinder to get the helix and use that to control the twist as a second trajectory and again using the straight spine, I'd go with the first option since you don't need the variable twist rate or reversal the wrap could give you.

Here's something I did for fun, I got a true involute geartooth form without using a CS and equation, and then made a sort of "herringbone" gear.

2018-12-14_vss_involute_tooth.jpg

Best of luck!

Here's a STEP file.  Note that even in different sections parallel to the Z plane, the tooth form is EXACTLY the same no matter where in the "swoosh" you place the section.  THAT, is what the "Constant Normal Direction" does vs being normal to the trajectory.  In a helical gear or gear like this, the tooth form needs to stay perfect normal to the gear axis.

Oh, and I created the involute without using a CS and equation....so, how did I do it?

No guesses?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:JK_9273484)

How to create a helical gear in creo parametric 3.0 Instructions: You can download the document with all the formulas and relations at this link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pTk0JdzlRos6XO0Ej_uRMb1BETo-ggCghirynAgnALc 1.Create a new part file and name it helical_gear. 2.Units should be mm ...
Top Tags