cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Inventor files in Creo model

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Inventor files in Creo model

Is it possible to import a model from inventor into Creo and keep an associative link?
Or has PTC made it impossible without the collaboration extension? 

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:SYNDAKIT)

I've only used the unite technology once or twice so I'm a bad source of info...I suppose it depends on exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.ptc.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/CAD/Creo-5/Datasheet-Unite_Technology-en.pdf

StephenW_0-1676582511888.png

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:StephenW)

I'm looking for a model that can be updated via inventor and have the changes reflected in the creo model.

It will be a visual reference and some light dimensioning. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm fairly sure the native 'Unite' capability will automatically re-import the source data anytime it changes.  The collaboration extension should only be needed if you want to be able to take the Inventor data that has been imported to Creo (converted to a Creo file behind the scenes) and output it back to Inventor as a native Inventor file.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:TomU)

@TomU wrote:

I'm fairly sure the native 'Unite' capability will automatically re-import the source data anytime it changes.  The collaboration extension should only be needed if you want to be able to take the Inventor data that has been imported to Creo (converted to a Creo file behind the scenes) and output it back to Inventor as a native Inventor file.

Hi,

I am not expert but it seems to me that according to https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r8.0/usascii/index.html#page/data_exchange/interface/About_Importing_Autodesk_Inventor_Models.html Creo Collaboration Extension for Inventor license is needed.

Martin Hanák
SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

yeah that help document is worded like it's referred to as Unite Technology and to use it you must have the Collaboration Extension for Inventor.

msmith
14-Alexandrite

Martin is correct. Whether you Open the foreign CAD file (direct incorporation in the Creo environment referred to as Unite technology) or Import it (convert to Creo file), the Update process (ATB technology) requires the Collaboration license. An Opened foreign CAD file is always up to date in the Creo session (unless the Collaboration license is not available) and it is not possible to break the link to the source since you are 'directly opening' the source. When you Import a foreign CAD file you have to do manual check status/update operations. Without the Collaboration license, you would have to know there were changes to the foreign CAD file and then re-Open or re-Import the file to see those changes (and of course you would lose any modifications made to it in Creo).

Top Tags