cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Maximum number of drawing sheets

pkane
1-Newbie

Maximum number of drawing sheets

Hi All, Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of drawing sheets that can be used. I have a drawing with a 100+ sheets, which is being suggested as too large. Thanks for your help in advance.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I don't if there is a maximum limit on a number of sheets, but from a engineering side that many sheets is very hard to check let alone detail. Even if the entire drawing was completely checked and error free manufacturing would find it difficult to handle as I'm sure some of the sheets cannot stand alone and would need to reference back to another or to the first sheet. Regards Eric Mills

Hello there, 100+ sheet does look like a lot. Every pro/e seller will tell you there is not limit for pro/e, that you can manage files as large as you may imagine. But when you talk to serious ptc tech support, they sometimes suggest that drawings with 10 sheets are already too large (I've been there) What is true, is that pro/e requires a vast amount of memory and hardware resources to succesfully manage a file that big, as it needs to upload the models, reps, bom, tables, etc. It could probably cause you a crash. Check the xtop.exe file at the task manager, and see how much memory is demanding, if you are reaching 1500 or so, its too much and you may consider eather splinting your file (though you'll need to erase the models no longer present in the sheets you erased), or moving to a 64 bit platform with grater RAM and let pro/e use it at large.

Hi, Eric, Claudio Thanks for your comments. The drawings sets I create are Masters. The full drawing set is never released to manufacturing in one lump. To explain I create product master models in Pro/E, I then release sub-assemblies, and part drawings from master as an export, never as the native Pro/E file. For example if I want to provide the client with a 3D model it would normally be as iges/stp/etc. I provide individual 2D drawing sheets as PDF/DXF/DWG to manufacturing. This way as an independant designer, I control the original data. This is because clients and suppliers are using alternative CAD systems. I have many drawings of this size in Pro/E, although they can take a while to open (depending on system. I have no difficulties at all within Pro/E. The issues arise with exporting the individual and multiple sheet sets. I have another thread open in relation to a font and file size issue when exporting to PDF/DXF/DWG. Even on a 64bit dual Xeon 16GB Ram Pro/E exits.
Top Tags