cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Mechanism design capabilities

ptc-5020422
1-Newbie

Mechanism design capabilities

Hi - I have a slider that is intially constrained to linear motion due to guide parts on either side, however this part travels beyond the guides, it also has an internal slot, and there is a fixed pin riding in the slot that because of its length allows the slider to continue to travel linearly but also concurrently rotate about the pin. So my question as an MDO novice is is this type of transition of motions possible, once the moving part as moved passed a physical constraint that initially limits the motion to linear?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Mike,

You have two options here - 3D contact and cams. I would try a cam-pair first as this should solve more readily than 3D contact. If you make a flat surface on your moving object contact a flat "ground" wall for the distance the object is constrained as a slider, but have it also in a slot joint, you can achive the DOF you're looking for. The trick with the cam is that one of the surfaces will need to be a closed loop in order to work properly against a truely flat surface (grounded, second cam body). Try it and let us know how it works ... or doesn't, and I can provide more help.

Cheers,

Chris

Top Tags