cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Merge part/drawing

FrankSiano
1-Newbie

Merge part/drawing

1. Take an assembly checked into Windchill with alpha names components but no drawings associated.

2. Check it out, save as new assembly with part number names on all components, make new detail drawings.(New in workspace only)

3. Can a merge be done to combine alpha name parts with new parts and associate to these new drawings?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13

Hi Frank,

I think I understand what you are looking to do. Do you want a new assembly? New sub components (all of some)? and the drawings to port over too?

If yes then its easy. Load in the workspace the assembly that you are copying and when you pull it in you want to bring in the associated drawings that you need for the new assemblies, sub-assemblies and components. As long as these are in your workspace then the associations will work.

Open the top level and save a copy, generate the new names for the components that you want to change in the assembly and you will generate the drawings automatically.

Try on something small first to make sure you see what's happening.

Hope this helps.

Thanks but actually its the other way around.  In any case, I have done a test as you suggested and  I see that it can work if I choose the correct references when prompted. They must be corresponding. I did notice that the drawing scale was screwed up though. Depending on how much rework will be needed to fix the drawings, it may be better to start from zero.

I don't understand what you mean it's the other way around. please tell me what you mean.

commonspace does not have drawings to check out, only models with alpha names. The new saved as parts have new drawings associated in the workspace, never checked in.

Ok. Appears that you have copied files to new assemblies etc and created new drawings for these. You now want to generate the drawings for the original model as it had no drawings, from the new drawings you have created. Is that correct?

yes

Wow, good luck with that!

I take it that the project manager has had some kind of brainwave that you sort out the old versions documentation.

You could do it but you could seriously get things screwed up if you get it wrong. Do you want to try it?

Not sure yet. I will need to see what differences exist between the two sets of parts. If not many changes, I could revise the numbered parts manually to match.  Associativity is a blessing and a curse.

I'm not sure if WC will allow this because I haven't specifically tried, but this might be possible as I have used a similar technique before.

1. From Creo browser do a Workspace Save As of the "new" assembly and all of the associated objects (including the parts and drawings). Use the existing names from the commonspace as the new names.
  2. Export the new saved-as drawings from the workspace to your local drive. (Just the drawings. No associated models.)
  3. Remove the new saved-as assembly, parts, drawings, etc. from the workspace.
  4. Add the original assembly and parts from commonspace to the workspace.
  5. Open the drawings from the local drive and save to the workspace. The drawings will be associated to the original drawings.

Step 1 is the questionable step since WC may throw a fit at the naming conflicts from using the commonspace names as the new saved-as names. If it does have a problem with the names, then there is another workaround that will make this work.

Thank you very much. This sounds promising, I will try it.

If you run into the issue with the naming conflict, then there are 2 possible workarounds.

One requires a temporary rename of the commonspace objects prior to performing the save-as and is fairly pain free.

The other workaround is more difficult as it requires that the save-as use an intermediate name, that you export the drawings AND associated models, and that you perform renames on the locally stored models and drawings while disconnected from Windchill (ie. <NO SERVER> mode in Server Management).

I am sweating already. Thanks

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:FrankSiano)

Here is how I would accomplish what I think you are trying to do:

1. Backup the drawings you wish to copy outside of Windchill.
  2. Backup the old models to the same location.
  3. Erase all objects from session.
  4. Change CREO to no server.
  5. Set your working directory to where the backed up files are located.
  6. Delete the new models from this location.
  7. Rename (in File Explorer) the old models to the name of the new models.
  8. Open each drawing and use CREO to rename the drawing and model to the old name and save the drawing.
  9. Erase all objects from session.
  10. Delete all models from the folder you are working in keeping only the drawings.
  11. Activate Windchill as your server.
  12. Open new drawings and save.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags