cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Modify surface finish symbol parameter

Rubio74
7-Bedrock

Modify surface finish symbol parameter

In Creo 9.0.4.0, in the new ISO_1302_2002_SURF_FIN, there is a selection of manufacturing processes.

One of them is "GROUND" 

This is driven by a parameter : ptc_sf_manufacturing_method. See screenshot.

For some particular reason we want to have this in GRIND, because of a supplier remark. Despite the fact that this is ISO, they want to have the present tense, GRIND instead of GROUND on the drawing.

So now, we modify the value manually.

I want to copy this symbol.

Is it possible to modify the value of this parameter.

Where can I find this parameter? 

Process:

From drawing, create

Surface Finish

browse Surface Finish Symbols

system Symbols

surffins

ISO

ISO_1302_2002_surf_fin.sym

Place surf fin and select Line, Two_line_Requirements, manufacturing method, pull down menu "ground"

I want to copy this symbol using:

Define Symbol

<enter name>

Copy Symbol and select existing symbol

select Line, Done

TWO_LINE_REQUIREMENTS

MANUFACTURING METHOD

<pick location in graphics screen> Done

Attributes

Grouping  and variable text parameters

And here I get stuck.

Anyone?

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Rubio74,

Thank you for your question.

I encourage you to bring more details and context to your initial inquiry. This will make it easier for you to receive meaningful help from other Community members.

Regards,
Andra

Not sure... I don't have Creo 9 so I can only guess.  Also, I'm not so sure about symbol definitions in general...

But it seems the new symbol ISO_1302_2002_surf_fin.sym uses (symbol) parameters to define the allowed values for its variable text elements, and the text in the element "manufacturing_method" is driven by the value of of (restricted) parameter "PTC_SF_MANUFACTURING_METHOD",

For your "custom symbol", I'd try finding this text element and see if you can remove "&PTC_SF_MANUFACTURING_METHOD" from its text and replace with text  "\manufacturing_method\".  I am illustrating this by redefining the SURFTEXTURE symbol in my Creo4 installation (note that my symbol does not even have the manufacturing method so I am just adding this text element to my example):

pausob_0-1696228211711.png

so then this text becomes variable and in the "Attributes" for the symbol, you define the list of values allowed for the manufacturing_method token as you see fit:

pausob_1-1696228326344.png

Not sure if this hack will work, or if it is acceptable for your company.

The other thing I could think of is to find out how to (re)define the restricted definition for the symbol parameters but that's beyond me.

Or maybe you can ask PTC to make a custom symbol for you?

Top Tags