cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Need help with an odd sweep

lsrutkowski
1-Newbie

Need help with an odd sweep

Ok, here's one to make people scratch their heads:

To start off: I am working with Wildfire 4.0 m130, although I do have access to Wildfire 5.0.

I have a "half-pill" shape (90 deg arc -> tanget vertical line -> 90 degree arc, rotated 180 deg, thickened to make a shell surface) with a 45deg conical cut at both ends. The intersection of the conical cut on the end and the flat bottom plane of the rotation is then rounded. I now need to put a protruded shape around the entire edge of this form which is tanget to the bottom/rounded/conical cut surface at all times. This means that I am now trying to stay tanget to a 3-dimensional curved set of surfaces. How do I do this?

I have tried doing a sweep along a trajectory, but I end up with a discontinuity at the bottom face ->round -> conical cut region where the sweep stops remaining tangent.

I have also tried a swept blend with each point along the path defined with the same feature shap and tanget to the surface, but I end up with the same discontinuity problem.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Sorry to everyone who had emailed me asking for a picture. I was working on it, but I need to make sure I got the right view. The picture attached is a .png that shows the area where I want to put the protrusion. The narrow, curving surface is what I want to remain tanget to at all times.

The discontinuity occurs where the round is located.

Top Tags