cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

New PC recommendations (CPU style)

BobSchwerdlin
3-Visitor

New PC recommendations (CPU style)

We need to get a new machine for one of our users (not me... sigh :(). Should we consider an Intel Dual Core Xeon, or is a Core 2 Duo (fastest available) just as good... or better?

I know Pro/E is a single thread application so triple or quad core chips don't seem to make sense - right?? Are there any plans to make Pro/E multi-thread and is it worth consideration at this point? Seems to me that clock speed and RAM is everything !

WF 4.0
No Pro/Intralink
No Pro/Mechanica

Thanks,

Bob

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Bob...we've recenty got a new HP 400z and it is performing quite well. Every bit as good and a bit faster thanour older Dell 690.

64bit XP, Xeon w3520 @ 2.67GHz with 8gig RAM, 22" monitor, nVidia Quadro FX4800

Regards,

Jim

Definitely go with a Core 2 Duo. Both cores operate on a single thread, giving you the best of both worlds. Last summer, we bought a bunch of HP 4600's with the E8500 CPU. Awesome performance and a great price/performance ratio. The Core i7 used the same archeteture, but has 4 cores. Look at the benchmark results at www.proesite.com.

We use Dell T3400 with the E8500, 4 gig of ram and nvidia Quadro FX 3700.

Very good bang for the buck. I think is scored around 1100 on the proesite benchmark (typical for this class of machine)

Bryan

Top Tags