cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Not just assembly but file management

jviavattine
1-Newbie

Not just assembly but file management

We've settled on what we think will be our directory structure for storing CAD files so they are easier to find. Right now the are many of them in the root directlor of our Windchill account. We wish to move them to a new directory. We've tried to change the location and either get an error or a suggestion to use the "move" command/action to do that. We have never found the move command. Is there an easy way to do the move or do we need to open each part/assembly and check it into the new location? Can it be done by checking them out and checking them into a new location? What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,

Joe

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks again Hugo. I'm using Windchill 10 (I believe). There is no "move" button, but you are correct in that it is pretty straight forward (once you know how). It was as easy as selecting all the files you wanted to move, choosing "cut" under the actions dropdown, going to the new directory, and choosing "paste" under actions. Copy and paste didn't work. I actually found it burried in a help file that was attached in a very small link.

Joe

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Joe

Moving CAD files between Products/Libraries/Folders in Windchill is pretty straight forward.

You dont need to check out files to move them in Windchill.

In fact, you can not move them while they are checked out.

Check and see if that may be your problem.

Hugo

Thanks Hugo for the response. Do you have steps on how to move the parts and assemblies? If I start moving assemblies, will it automatically move over the subbordinate parts as well?

Joe

Joe

Not sure what version of Windchill you are using but this is how you do it in 9.1

1. Select the product/library and folder where your CAD files are located.

2. Select one or more items to move.

3. Press the "Move" button

4. In the "Configuration" dropdown list you may select dependencies such as All or Required to move parts with the assemblies.

5. Select the new location for each item and press OK

Thanks again Hugo. I'm using Windchill 10 (I believe). There is no "move" button, but you are correct in that it is pretty straight forward (once you know how). It was as easy as selecting all the files you wanted to move, choosing "cut" under the actions dropdown, going to the new directory, and choosing "paste" under actions. Copy and paste didn't work. I actually found it burried in a help file that was attached in a very small link.

Joe

Top Tags