cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Note on leader behavior

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Note on leader behavior

Does anyone know how to make a feature note with a leader behave like a dimension? Ultimately I would like to either change the attachment of the standard hole feature note, or create my own feature with its respective "Setup Note - Feature" placed to behave like a dimension (in the 3D model, not the drawing). This needs to be part of the feature, not a separate annotation set. Here are the things I've tried:

Dimension behavior - This is what I would like to emulate:
In a drawing , create a dimension on a circle.
- The leader will always remain normal to the circle. [good]
- The dimension can be dragged anywhere around the circle (full 360). [good]
- The dimension can be moved anywhere in one step (X-Y). [good]

First attempt - Note with standard leader:
In a drawing , create a note on a circle using the "Standard" leader.
- The leader is NOT kept normal to the circle. [bad]
- The note anchor point can only be dragged half way around the circle (unless "edit attachment" is used). [bad]
- The note can be moved anywhere in one step (X-Y). [good]

Second attempt - Note with normal leader:
In a drawing , create a note on a circle with the "Normal leader."
- The leader IS kept normal to the circle [good]
- The note anchor point can only be dragged half way around the circle (unless "edit attachment" is used) [bad]
- The note CANNOT be moved anywhere in one step, only along the normal direction. To changed direction the anchor point has to be moved separately. [bad]

Third attempt - Note with standard leader on point:
In a drawing , create a note on a point at the center of a circle using the "Standard" leader.
- The leader IS kept normal to the circle (because the point is the center of the circle) [good]
- The note can be dragged anywhere around the circle (full 360). [good]
- The note can be moved anywhere in one step (X-Y). [good]
- The arrow on the leader is pointing at the center of the circle (point) instead of the circle itself. [bad]

P.S. "Bad" does not mean it doesn't function at PTC intended, it just means it doesn't function like I would like it to.

[cid:image002.png@01CDEE81.72F5B6B0] [cid:image001.png@01CDEE81.291F2030] [cid:image003.png@01CDEE81.72F5B6B0] [cid:image004.png@01CDEE82.3BEB54D0]

Thanks.

Tom U.
6 REPLIES 6
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:TomU)

Your first paragraph indicates you want this in the model, but your examples are all from the drawing.

I’m not sure what you want here, but assuming that you want it in the drawing, why not create a radius or diameter dimension and change the &D to &O and then type in whatever you want. The dimension value will go away, so it’ll look like a note but it’ll behave like dimension because it is a dimension.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

WF5 (CE/p) example. It gets weirder when you use the hole feature that automatically creates a model note on the part. In showing the note on a drawing, you can get the parametric data to fill in the note but try to position the model note in any sane way on the feature in a drawing. If memory serves, it defaults to the center axis of the hole feature and can't be repositioned.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

PH:724.941-5540

FX:724.941.8322

www.fpdcompany.com
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I guess I wasn’t very clear. We currently use standard hole features with customized notes (callout_format in hole table) for all of our holes (taps, counter bores, etc.). The hole feature note is shown on a drawing using the Show Model Annotations functionality. The problem with the stock hole note is that the anchor point cannot be moved. This leaves the note leader in an undesirable location. I would like this feature note to behave like a dimension when shown on a drawing. While I can change the placement of the note in the model (or create my own note for an entirely different feature (like an extrude), I haven’t found a way to make the model feature note behave in a drawing the same way a dimension does (stay normal to feature, automatic anchor movement, etc.)

Tom U.

Pictures of the stock hole feature note as displayed on a drawing:

Shown, but not moved yet:
[cid:image002.png@01CDEE89.E2821AC0]

Note moved, anchor point does not:
[cid:image003.png@01CDEE89.E2821AC0]

Anchor point cannot be dragged. Attempting to edit attachment on the anchor point causes an error:
[cid:image001.png@01CDEE8A.CDD02440]

jlippeth
1-Newbie

Tom

The Anchor point cannot be moved in Drawing, but you can move it on the model.

A pain in the… I agree.

Jscott

A.DelNegro
4-Participant

I totally agree. This has always been an irritating issue for me. Why bother having these automatically generated notes if they really don’t function the way they should. I think it is again a case where the programmers do not fully understand the dimensioning protocol and just added the note with a bad leader behavior. Its been this way forever. Maybe if enough of us ask for it to be fixed, they will ignore us and hope we go away… lol.

T

Still having this same issue in 2020. Currently using Creo 4.

Top Tags