cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Offset lines Wildfire 4.0 "Rant mode on"

ptc-46674
1-Newbie

Offset lines Wildfire 4.0 "Rant mode on"

Has anyone found a single improvement with the new exdloded view dialog box ! We just upgraded to Wildfire 4.0 from 2.0.

In wildfire 2.0 it was fairly easy to create exploded views & offset lines for exploded hardware and what not....

Basic steps VIEW / VIEW MANAGER / EXPLODE select the explode state you want to modify right click EDIT ...

move your components around .... Done .... create offset lines pop up window was right here also !!!!

Wildfire 4.0 lets see VIEW / VIEW MANAGER / EXPLODE select the explode state you want to modify right click NO modify isn't here.... lets guess where might they have put that now !!!! double click it NO ? click the EDIT button NO ? Hmm click the Properties tab, I'm getting warm I know it ! oh hover your mouse over all the icons in this window there it is EDIT POSITION ! thats it... This brings up the same exact window as wildfire 2.0 .....

Move your parts around works exectly the same ! Good job guys... waite it gets better ... think you done hold on don't click that close button or you'll loose all you changes, click the LIST button now right click and SAVE ! very intuitive....

Ok now lets create them offset lines .... Wildfire 2.0 that windowwas basically right here after you were done movingparts you clicked OK / SAVE. some small window was there click OFFSET LINES / CREATE ...

lets see where is that in Wildfire 4.0 .... Hmm Close the view manager "really close it" it's not in here anymore ... lets see where might they have moved it ? I want to create offset line related to the current explode state let see ..... lets look all over the place for about 20 minutes ... waite lets beat your head against the wall for a while that might help .... NOPE still can't find it. OK call tech support .....Oh all you haft to do is click VIEW along the top edge of the screen EXPLODE / OFFSET LINES / CREATE .... very intuitive....

Oh this open this same little window that was right there in Wildfire 2.0

Lets just say I thinkThis Improvement SUCK's

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

In Reply to Dave McClinton:

Has anyone found a single improvement with the new exdloded view dialog box ! We just upgraded to Wildfire 4.0 from 2.0.

In wildfire 2.0 it was fairly easy to create exploded views & offset lines for exploded hardware and what not....

Basic steps VIEW / VIEW MANAGER / EXPLODE select the explode state you want to modify right click EDIT ...

move your components around .... Done .... create offset lines pop up window was right here also !!!!

Wildfire 4.0 lets see VIEW / VIEW MANAGER / EXPLODE select the explode state you want to modify right click NO modify isn't here.... lets guess where might they have put that now !!!! double click it NO ? click the EDIT button NO ? Hmm click the Properties tab, I'm getting warm I know it ! oh hover your mouse over all the icons in this window there it is EDIT POSITION ! thats it... This brings up the same exact window as wildfire 2.0 .....

Move your parts around works exectly the same ! Good job guys... waite it gets better ... think you done hold on don't click that close button or you'll loose all you changes, click the LIST button now right click and SAVE ! very intuitive....

Ok now lets create them offset lines .... Wildfire 2.0 that windowwas basically right here after you were done movingparts you clicked OK / SAVE. some small window was there click OFFSET LINES / CREATE ...

lets see where is that in Wildfire 4.0 .... Hmm Close the view manager "really close it" it's not in here anymore ... lets see where might they have moved it ? I want to create offset line related to the current explode state let see ..... lets look all over the place for about 20 minutes ... waite lets beat your head against the wall for a while that might help .... NOPE still can't find it. OK call tech support .....Oh all you haft to do is click VIEW along the top edge of the screen EXPLODE / OFFSET LINES / CREATE .... very intuitive....

Oh this open this same little window that was right there in Wildfire 2.0

Lets just say I thinkThis Improvement SUCK's

Oops I thought I was done but what the heck, I have a little bit more to add before I go home...

Tech support forget to mention to me that after you add the Offset Lines, you need to go back into the view manager window and Right click the current explode state that now has a + sign and click save !

just saving the part won't save the Offset Lines you just inserted... No you haft to open the View Manager Window and save the Explode State ! explicitly or you will loose your Offset Lines !

Very!Very intuitive !!!!!.... I love it ..... Thats all have a good weekend : )

I don't use offset lines, but I certainly feel your pain. This happens
all the time (measure tool for example) and I cannot believe that the
programmer who laid this out had any idea how current users are using
this function or what it even does. It's everywhere in Pro|E,
everywhere.

This seems that they were told what controls were needed and to make an
interface to hold them all. They did just that, the controls are all
present but with no thought at all to workflow, no survey of the current
workflow, not thought to similar workflows in other parts of Pro|E.

It's like coming home to find someone has rearranged the living room
furniture. It's a pleasant enough arrangement, until you notice that
the couch faces the wall, the TV is upside down and the DVD player is in
the back of a cabinet in the kitchen. In order to watch a movie you now
need to turn the couch around, flip the TV over, go get the DVD player
(and find the cables) and then hook it all up.

Then tomorrow you have to do it all again.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug

That's a good analogy ! what I want to see from "PTC" is the enhancement request to change this dialog box, or a single complaint about how it functioned prior to them totally redoing it.

Top Tags