cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

PDMLink 9.1 "Frames"?

ptc-680841
1-Newbie

PDMLink 9.1 "Frames"?

Guys, Can someone provide me with a high level overview of how Intralink Frames work in PDMLink 9.1 with Wildfire 5? just the basics ... - Where is the functionality accessed? The Event Manager?- How do I "undo" something using this functionality?- What types of things can I undo and what cant I undo?- Doesit work well? Any problems? etc. Just looking to get up to speed quickly. Thanksin advance,and I will post a summary for anyone else that is moving from Intralink to PDMLink. Andy B.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-680841)

I heard "frames" were back. This is something that I miss!!!

Andy-

I'm no expert with them but can chime in a bit.

First, I believe the default is that they are off. To turn them on you do this through your utilities-->preference manager. Find the 'workspace frame stack size' and set it to anything greater than zero.

Frames don't work quite as they did in Intralink. Intralink was quite linear I'm sure you'll remember, you could undo and redo things only in a step by step fashion. In pdmlink, these things are called events and are no longer linear. you can go back and apply events that are not neccessarily in sequential order. Although this sounds like a benefit, I think because of the different nature of it, I find it a bit confusing. I would suggest experimenting with it a bit to get a feel for how you can apply events in this non-linear fashion.

Some things I don't like:

Not all 'events' trigger an event to be allowed to be applied. For example, if I look in my event manager right now, I see lots of events, only some of which may be applied. Most of the 'save' events are applicable, but oddly enough, not all. upload and download events don't trigger an applicable event, but a successful 'add' does. Like everything in this package (to me anyway), it's difficult to tell if it's got a mind of its own or is just a little bit wonky.

Descriptions of events leave a lot to be desired. It just doesn't seem as clear as it used to be. There is an info icon, and it helps, but just a little.

Some things that you might think of as one event are really several events. For example adding something to your workspace causes two events--download, and then add. I would suggest if you're used to using a frame stack of 10 that you double it to 20 just to make sure you're capturing about the right amount of frames that you intend to.

If you are new to pdmlink or windchill, then I would suggest everybody at your install have them turned on to start. That was my suggestion here, and for the people that didn't follow it, they ended up losing some work as they learned their way around the new 'add, update, check out' terminology--in some cases overwriting work when they didn't think they were, and with no way to recover if their frames were off.

So to sum, it's different, it bears experimenting with before you rely on it, or are comfortable with it, but it's worth it to have and almost impossible to imagine that there was a build of pdmlink that didn't include it.

-Randy

This is timely because I'm just now testing frames.

One thing I've noticed is there is no way to get back to the initial state of a model you bring up in a ProE session.

For example, say you have a new or modified part in your workspace. In the morning you fire up ProE and open your part, you change a dimension and then realize that's not what you wanted to do. There is no way to get back to the initial state of your part, because PDMLink hasn't created a frame of the initial state. You may not be able to go to the events of the previous day because you may have been working on a different model, so frames for that model don't exist.

Another thing to realize, is that the frames for an event don't get created until the next thing you do to change workspace.

Looking at the Event Manager is also inconvenient, because you can't see the file name associated with the events, and you can't customize the table view to show the file name. You have to go to the information page for the event in order to see which model that event is associated with.

David Haigh

On 08/12/10 16:38, Haigh, David A. wrote:
> This is timely because I’m just now testing frames.
>
> One thing I’ve noticed is there is no way to get back to the initial state of a
> model you bring up in a ProE session.
>
> For example, say you have a new or modified part in your workspace. In the
> morning you fire up ProE and open your part, you change a dimension and then
> realize that’s not what you wanted to do. There is no way to get back to the
> initial state of your part, because PDMLink hasn’t created a frame of the
> initial state. You may not be able to go to the events of the previous day
> because you may have been working on a different model, so frames for that model
> don’t exist.

There is no frame because you have not saved the part yet...

In the scenario you just described you can (from Pro/Engineer) do a
File | Update | Current
and replace the "oops I did not want to do what I just did" in session part with
the version that is in the workspace.

This is exactly the same as Pro/intralink 3.x. This is very handy for playing
with a part.

>
> Another thing to realize, is that the frames for an event don’t get created
> until the next thing you do to change workspace.
>
> Looking at the Event Manager is also inconvenient, because you can’t see the
> file name associated with the events, and you can’t customize the table view to
> show the file name. You have to go to the information page for the event in
> order to see which model that event is associated with.
>
> David Haigh
> Phone: 925-424-3931
> Fax: 925-423-7496
> Lawrence Livermore National Lab
> 7000 East Ave, L-362
> Livermore, CA 94550

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I do a File | Update | Current, it downloads the most current version from the Common space. I want a previous iteration that's in the Workspace, not overwrite all the mods I've already made to the workspace part.

David Haigh
wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-680841)

I agree it is the way it worked @3.x. It's a fantastic option. As I
recall not many understood it. You do really have to think a bit when
managing data. But it's really all worth it.

On 08/12/10 17:25, Haigh, David A. wrote:
> When I do a File | Update | Current, it downloads the most current version from the Common
> space. I want a previous iteration that's in the Workspace, not overwrite all
the mods I've
> already made to the workspace part.

If you are on Intralink 3.x and you have the following scenario:
1. object in Workspace is out of date with CommonSpace
2. object in Session has been modified (different than Workspace)
3. You want to update the in Session version with the WorkSpace
4. You do NOT want to update the WorkSpace version with the latest CommonSpace
version.

Now if you do a File | Update | Current then you get the following 2 questions
(worded somewhat differently but you will get the meaning):

Question 1: Do you want to update the Workspace version with the latest version
from CommonSpace? The answer to this question is No

Question 2: Do you want to update the in Session version with the version
that resides in the WorkSpace? The answer to this question is Yes

I have seen many people blindly answer Yes to the first question and wonder what
happened to their WorkSpace version...

I am pretty sure that PDMLink 9.1 M050 is similar. I will set it up and try it.

>
> David Haigh
> Phone: 925-424-3931
> Fax: 925-423-7496
> Lawrence Livermore National Lab
> 7000 East Ave, L-362
> Livermore, CA 94550
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Randy Jones [
>
> On 08/12/10 16:38, Haigh, David A. wrote:
>> This is timely because I'm just now testing frames.
>>
>> One thing I've noticed is there is no way to get back to the initial state of a
>> model you bring up in a ProE session.
>>
>> For example, say you have a new or modified part in your workspace. In th...

On 08/12/10 17:47, Randy Jones wrote:
> On 08/12/10 17:25, Haigh, David A. wrote:
>> When I do a File | Update | Current, it downloads the most current version from the Common
> > space. I want a previous iteration that's in the Workspace, not overwrite all
> the mods I've
>> already made to the workspace part.
>
> If you are on Intralink 3.x and you have the following scenario:
> 1. object in Workspace is out of date with CommonSpace
> 2. object in Session has been modified (different than Workspace)
> 3. You want to update the in Session version with the WorkSpace
> 4. You do NOT want to update the WorkSpace version with the latest CommonSpace
> version.
>
> Now if you do a File | Update | Current then you get the following 2 questions
> (worded somewhat differently but you will get the meaning):
>
> Question 1: Do you want to update the Workspace version with the latest version
> from CommonSpace? The answer to this question is No
>
> Question 2: Do you want to update the in Session version with the version
> that resides in the WorkSpace? The answer to this question is Yes
>
> I have seen many people blindly answer Yes to the first question and wonder what
> happened to their WorkSpace version...
>
> I am pretty sure that PDMLink 9.1 M050 is similar. I will set it up and try it.

After setting up and trying it.
PDMLink 9.1 M050 and WF4 m140 are the same as Intralink 3.x.

Question 1 Reads:
Update in WorkSpace
The following objects are out of date in WorkSpace.
Do you want to update these objects with files from your server?
(list of objects)
Answer is No in this case.

Question 2 Reads:
Replace in Session
The following objects will be replaced in session.
Do you want to replace these objects with files from (Workspace name...) on
Windchill?
(list of objects)
Answer is Yes in this case.

>
>>
>> David Haigh
>> Phone: 925-424-3931
>> Fax: 925-423-7496
>> Lawrence Livermore National Lab
>> 7000 East Ave, L-362
>> Livermore, CA 94550
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Randy Jones [
>>
>> On 08/12/10 16:38, Haigh, David A. wrote:
>>> This is timely because I'm just now testing frames.
>>>
>>> One thing I've noticed is there is no way to get back to the initial state of a
>>> model you bring up in a ProE session.
>>>
>>> For example, say you have a new or modified part in your workspac...

Top Tags