cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Perfect Mitre?

ptc-3003802
1-Newbie

Perfect Mitre?

How are people creating mitres for door frames? I have two different profiles which obviously requires different angles for the mitre. I was wondering if someone knew of an easy/reliable/quick/accurate way of achieving this?
7 REPLIES 7

You will need to create a workplane on the face, then use construction geometry to project the outlines of the different edges of both parts onto this workplane.(It is important that you set your catch to allow you to select parts) Then, you will need to create a 2D profile that connects the important intersections of the projected construction geometry. This will define the mitre. Because of the step in the frames, this mitre will have two angles. Add additional geometry to the mitre in order to create a closed profile, then punch away the excess material from one part, then modify the 2D geometry on the same workplane to create a new closed profile (keep the miter part) to allow you to punch away the material you do not need from the other part. Because of the steps in the top of the part, you will have a 2 angle cut in the bottom. You need to decide how to handle this.

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly how I did it; but I was hoping there was an easier solution. The biggest headache! What about if it's sheet metal in the pro version? Is it any easier.

Your problem exists because your two parts are not the same width. The Sheet Metal module would not do anything to help here. However, once you cut the mitres, you could create a Flat Pattern of the parts, and the mitres would be part of the flat part before the part is formed. This problem will exist in any CAD system, and it will also exist if you are on the job site with standard parts that need to be cut to fit. It is just not possible to mitre this part with a single angle cut.

Thanks Mate. Appreciate it

In the full version there are some add-on modules available and in some of them it is possible to do these miters by selecting the two parts. See attachment Regards WoHo
rswartz
1-Newbie
(To:whofer)

If only the problem was that simple.
whofer
8-Gravel
(To:rswartz)

see this video

http://youtu.be/lqGRKNz_Yfo

the problem is simple, the solution is simple

Top Tags