cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Prevent layers from being created and geometry place on them related to opening solidworks files

danders238
13-Aquamarine

Prevent layers from being created and geometry place on them related to opening solidworks files

Hi,

How can I prevent Solid Geometry from a Solidworks file opened in Creo Parametric from creating a new layer and being assigned to that layer?

For instance I open a Solidworks model in Creo Parametric and then Creo creates a Shell Layer and put the solid model on that layer.  Now if that layer is turned off/hidden you no longer can see the part file.

Is there a setting somewhere to control what layers are created when opening non Creo files or importing other cad file types?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Don A

8 REPLIES 8
TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:danders238)

BUMP.

I've just run into the same issue, although from another angle.

I have some models in which certain parts came in as .igs imports. Those imports have some weird layers, on which all of their geometry resides. I wish to reproduce this sort of imports but I can not. Anytime I import a file, be it .igs or .step only basic layers are being created and the geometry is imported in the intended way.

I would like to know how can I import a model and have it put on shell or other layers.

shells.PNG

pausob
18-Opal
(To:TomM)

Two guesses come to mind:

1) create an import profile profile which specifies template part which has some kind layer scheme (default layers, or layers with rules?)  When bringing in the IGES data, maybe the entities will be autoplaced on the layers?

2) try various config.pro settings intf* and those related to layers, e.g.:

pausob_0-1644954460302.png

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:pausob)

Thanks for taking a shot at answering this mystifying question 🙂

I've spent some time trying different settings when it comes to importing some random geometry, none has worked out. I'll try your 2nd suggestion tomorrow, although I think it exists as an option at import window, which I tried already.

Those layers as you can see have sequential names and each contains the same two items - a quilt and a solid. Maybe that rings a bell to someone?

pausob
18-Opal

Yeah, I'm getting this kind of thing with incoming STEP files:

pausob_0-1644960247176.png

Don't know how it happens but I hate when I check in such models and discover a bunch of new layers in the assembly drawings!

TomM
12-Amethyst

Oh...Could you provide me with screenshots of the import options you have? I'll compare them in the morning and try to reproduce it and figure out what leads to this behaviour. Also, which application exports those files that end up having this set of features on random layers?

pausob
18-Opal

Which screenshots are you talking about?

Attached is the "core dump" of the system settings from my current session.

Typically, the templates are used when I bring in STEP models, but these days I'm not connected to Windchill so dialog box says "Part template not found, continuing without part template..." and those layers still show up.

The NONE layer is always there when I bring in STEP models from McMaster Carr.

And I know the one from the screenshot is from Solidworks.

TomM
12-Amethyst

Hey, I know how to fix it.

When you import the step/igs file in the "Import New Model" window mark "Customize layers". Hit OK. When the model loads you're able to choose what happens to the layers. In imports status choose (the top assembly suffices) to exclude the layers you don't want imported. I now set every layer to be excluded. 

exclude.PNG

 Cheers.

Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite
(To:danders238)

There is a general method to fix this and similar problems: Using ModelCHECK

In the .mcs file in modelcheck configuration folder, you can define a list of layers. If modelUpdate is enabled and additional layers are set as error, when you run ModelCheck all the layers not defined in the mcs fine will be removed.

You can run this check right after importing a model.

Top Tags