cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Revise, set state, check in?

dgrobe
6-Contributor

Revise, set state, check in?

my issue, coming from intralink, when i checked in with intralink, i was able to check in, to review, so the manager could review, and release the part.

with windchill, i cant set state, unless the part is checked in.  when i take a released part, i click revise icon, it goes to In work state, where i can make my changes.  i check out the part, make my changes, but i cant set state to review, when i check in.  is there an option so when i check in my work, it goes to review state so my manager can then review, and release.

thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dgrobe)

the problem is, if i have 20 items modified, and all of them are set to be checked in, they get checked in as "in work"  then i have to go manually find those items in a list of 2000 plus items in my workspace, highlight the check box, and set state.  thats pretty time consuming.

After checking in, sort your workspace by the "Last Modified" column.  Everything you just checked in will be at the top of the list.  Simply select the range of changed objects and set state on them all at once.

will the reply below this, lifecycle template, be able to fix that?

No.  You still have to check-in first.  The lifecycle template just controls what you're allowed to do at each state.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

In Windchill, there is a workflow for doing that which Intralink did not have.

After you check in your part, you need to create a Promotion Request which is routed to your manager for review and signoff. Once he has signed it off, the state changes to Released.

You will need to develop the actual workflow you need, At this company, the managers signoff on the physical hardcopy and the Configuration Management group has 2 people that must approve the drawings and part structure before the object is released. We could modify the workflow to include the manager signoff but haven't yet done that.

dgrobe
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

thanks for your reply.  im trying to figure out the workflow, with a test part but cant for the life of me figure out how to go to review state without checking in my changes.  i am going to try a few different things, but this seems pretty counter intuitive for it to be this way. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Whether you use a promotion request to change state or you manually set state yourself, you still need to check in first.  This get the data into Windchill so other actions can be taken on it.  Lifecycle state (Released) should determine accessibility to the rest of the organization, not whether something is checked in or not.

dgrobe
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Thanks tom, let me see if i can find that in the help files.

here is the delima.  i have a big list of items in my workspace.  i dont mind checking them in, but, i want to be able to set state, to review at check in.  the problem is, if i have 20 items modified, and all of them are set to be checked in, they get checked in as "in work"  then i have to go manually find those items in a list of 2000 plus items in my workspace, highlight the check box, and set state.  thats pretty time consuming.

in intralink, there was an option to promote items on check in.  i would highlight everything modified, right click, check in.  a option box popped up, with a option to promote to review.   my manager would then be able to do a search in commonspace to find anything in review state, and check and promote to release.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

the problem is, if i have 20 items modified, and all of them are set to be checked in, they get checked in as "in work"  then i have to go manually find those items in a list of 2000 plus items in my workspace, highlight the check box, and set state.  thats pretty time consuming.

After checking in, sort your workspace by the "Last Modified" column.  Everything you just checked in will be at the top of the list.  Simply select the range of changed objects and set state on them all at once.

No.  You still have to check-in first.  The lifecycle template just controls what you're allowed to do at each state.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Our designers check in their parts at the design state. When they submit a Promotion Request, the workflow changes the state to Under Review. Once the Promotion request is approved, the objects are set to Released.

There are many times that a checked in object may need to be revised before it is ready for the Promotion Request. We have 1 designer at a remote site. He checks in his work and a designer here will then plot it, get the physical signatures, check out the drawing and update the electronic signatures and then do the check in and Promotion Request.

Just because an object has been checked in doesn't mean it is ready for final release review. Objects must be checked in for others to see your work/changes in any higher assemblies they may be working on.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This is controlled by the lifecycle template currently applied to your CAD Documents.  It's very simple to adjust this to allow users to set state to "Under Review" (or anything else you might want).  See the Windchill help for "Understanding Life Cycles"

set_state.PNG

Top Tags