cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

STEP file failing to open in Creo 10

Charles421SD
2-Guest

STEP file failing to open in Creo 10

Am having a difficult time opening a STEP file. Every attempt ends with Creo crashing with the following window:

"Auto-traceback info" window appears. Fatal Error Encountered. A Traceback has been written to C:/...

I was hoping it might be in part to my "Import New Model" default window settings. 

In order from the top of the window..

Type: Assembly

Profile: Current Profile

Use template box-Unchecked

Import type: Automatic

Options: Generate log file-Checked / Short is filled. 

Does this look appropriate for a STEP file that is in excess of 600000 KB? 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Charles421SD)

Your first troubleshooting would be to monitor your RAM while trying to open. If you are running out of RAM, it moves to pagefile. It will be much more likely to crash. 

Step files can be large and completely un-manageable. If you can request a less detailed model, I would do so. Only the absolutely necessary information.

Are you connected to PDMLink? I suggest if you are, to go offline and import in a not connected session of creo.  There are issues with PDMLink checking for models during import that cause problems.

if you have access to solidworks or inventor, NX, try in those softwares also. 

Stephen, Thank you for your response. I have the STEP file saved in a folder on my desktop. I monitored the RAM in Task Manager as it started from about 2200Mbs until it reached about 3330 before crashing. A less detailed file is not an option as we need it in its complete state. We also have no access to other CAD software with exception to lower Creo versions. 

I too suspected that our system was checking the models surrounding security and potential viruses etc which was why I saved to my workstation so that . I will reach out to other divisions to see if there is the chance they have the programs you mentioned. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Charles421SD)

My suspicion is possibly its just too big. Since you mention it is an assy, you may need to have the people who supplied the file to break it up in to sub-assy exports with instructions on how to re-assemble once converted to creo.

It is possible the step file is just bad.

That is almost no ram usage, I'm assuming 2200mbs is 2.2 gb of RAM. Of course I say almost no usage but if you only have 4gb of ram, then it could be a problem.

Do you normally work it large files? Large assemblies or even large part files all have their own challenges and sometimes require a lot of tweaking of settings.

Hi @cs_10866722

I wanted to follow up with you on your post to see if your question has been answered. 

If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so that we can continue to help you. 

Thanks,

Anurag

I would suggest getting the NIST Step File Analyzer. We use this tool to help us troubleshoot STEP files that will not open in Creo.
It is a very investigation tool.

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2021/08/new-version-step-file-analyzer-and-viewer-released

Top Tags