cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Sheet metal flat pattern simplified rep / Multi-user use with Windchill

AJ_TROGLIO
11-Garnet

Sheet metal flat pattern simplified rep / Multi-user use with Windchill

We are in the process of testing Creo 8.0.0.0 and Windchill 12.  My question is regarding sheet metal flat pattern representations and multi-user use thru Windchill.

Our design team would like to design the formed configuration and put in the flat pattern rep.  They check this into Windchill.  Our drafting group would check out this model, do the detail drawing of the formed view, and then check these both back in. Modified parameters in the model used in the title block causes a change to the model and we're OK w/ this. 

At this point the Adv Mfg Eng team would like to pull out the formed design model and create a new drawing showing the flat pattern rep with the overall dimensions and the dimensions to the bend lines.  These are created dimensions in the drawing only.  Sheet 2 would be a 1:1 view for DXF output.

In our testing, the act of creating a new drawing and creating dimensions in the drawing has caused a 'change' to the design model such that Windchill sees it as being changed.  The AME group does not have permissions to check in design models. 

Why would the addition of creating dimensions in a new drawing kick all the way back to the model?  Definitely did not expect this behavior. 

Thanks...

--
AJ Troglio, Adv Mfg Engr
Hunter Engineering Company
Creo 4 M150
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:AJ_TROGLIO)

Because of the parametric properties of the design files, the creation of the dimensions on the flat pattern are referencing model entities. Even though they are drawn dimensions, the system still treats them as being parametric and thus they could change the model.

They manufacturing team should still be able to check in the flat pattern drawing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Because of the parametric properties of the design files, the creation of the dimensions on the flat pattern are referencing model entities. Even though they are drawn dimensions, the system still treats them as being parametric and thus they could change the model.

They manufacturing team should still be able to check in the flat pattern drawing.

Hi Ben

Well I accepted the solution too soon w/o a follow up question.

If I double click the created dimension in the drawing it's not giving me the option of changing the number, only reporting on what the dimension is.  I don't see how this should mark the model as changed.  I can't see the dimension in the model.   How is it actually 'changing' the design model behind the scenes?   This goes against my 30 years of Pro/E driving, but, I was never much on creating drawing dimensions so maybe it's always been this way.

The user cannot check in the new drawing as it wants to drag along the changed model. 

Thanks..

--
AJ Troglio, Adv Mfg Engr
Creo 4 M150

I think I found the answer.  Once again, it's a config option.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS32596

Option to avoid models being modified, when creating dimensions in a drawing:

• create_drawing_dims_only yes  (default is no)
--
AJ Troglio, Adv Mfg Engr
Creo 4 M150
kdirth
20-Turquoise

Here is a discussion started by @Mfridman of PTC on the config create_drawing_dims_only:

How are you using the "create_drawing_dims_only" c... - PTC Community

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Thanks for the link.  Not sure why my searching didn't produce this thread.

--
AJ Troglio, Adv Mfg Engr
Creo 4 M150
mkajdan
14-Alexandrite

Maybe this is causing the issue?

create_drawing_dims_only

If this config setting is set to yes, the dimensions created in a drawing are saved in the drawing.

If this config setting is set to no, the dimension created in a drawing are saved in the part or assembly and will show those parts or assemblies as modified.

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r8.0/usascii/#page/detail/dims_saving.html

Top Tags