cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Show Pattern Dims in a Drawing NOT at the 1st Pattern Member

ByDesign
9-Granite

Show Pattern Dims in a Drawing NOT at the 1st Pattern Member

Just looking for a little guidance with a drawing. I need to show pattern dimensions on a drawing - component pattern - but I want to show the pattern dimensions between the 4th and 5th pattern members (or 5th and 6th).

Using "Show Model Annotations", if I select the pattern, it shows the pattern dims between the 1st and 2nd pattern members. If I select the 4th pattern member, it only shows dims from the component (not assembly dims).

I'm a long time Pro/E user recently coming to Creo 9. This was easy to do before, but it appears that PTC has disassociated the assembly position dims from the components, so you have to jump through hoops to show assembly dims - which is horribly annoying - but in this case, I can't find the hoops to jump through. Query select allows selection of the component (or any feature of the component), but if you query to the assembly, it only shows dims for the 1st to 2nd pattern members.

Is there a way to show pattern dims in a place other than from the 1st member now in Creo?

This becomes important in 2 situations:  1, when using a partial view where the 1st pattern member is not in the view.  2, when the view is cluttered near the 1st pattern member and you want to show it elsewhere for clarity. Unfortunately, I also use these dims (like today) in 3D views, so I can't even cheat and create the dim.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:ByDesign)

Create a point pattern and then in the sketch feature that makes the points place the dimensions where you want them to show up on your drawing.

ByDesign
9-Granite
(To:Chris3)

I think I understand what you are saying, but it amounts to additional features to compensate for PTC's removal of functionality.  While it works to accomplish the display goal, it reminds me of all the silly stuff I have to do in Fusion 360 to make it "look like" the software can do something it cannot.

Why does PTC keep taking away perfectly wonderful functionality?  Why do they want their fighter jet to be a Cesna?

I accomplished the task by adding a sketch as a child of one of the pattern members and using relations to make the dims the same.  It's a trashy workaround because the displayed dims are not the actual dims and it adds unnecessary children in the model - like spaghetti - which is NOT a best practice.  Now I can't reduce the pattern member quantity without first removing references in the sketch.  I would really like to know <Moderator Edit> why PTC PM's think it's a good idea to dumb-down capabilities..

Top Tags