cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Size of Countersinks on curved surface

JB_9909913
5-Regular Member

Size of Countersinks on curved surface

Apparently, the geometry of a standard hole countersink is incorrect on a curved or round surface. The size I enter (which becomes its callout on a drawing) becomes the major dia of the resulting ellipse - but the countersink is to be measured across it's minor dia (ASME Y14.5-2018 4.5.13). I didn't pay much attention, but now with 3D printing and other rapid prototypes - it has become a problem: the actual physical countersink is too small. Is there an easy method or fix other than creating a plane and modeling a revolved cut in the correct orientation? 

3 REPLIES 3

Yeah, I think you have to have a work-around.  I suppose you can also switch to "simple" hole and sketch it out, as the minor elliptical diameter needed at the countersunk edge will depend on the curvature of the surface to be drilled.

Eg. M3 hole drilled into a Ø10mm shaft (Ø6.94 countersink diameter):

pausob_0-1692219618201.png

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:pausob)

Agreed, even changing the hole tables probably wouldn't work because you don't know the diameter of the cylinder you're going to countersink.

JB_9909913
5-Regular Member
(To:pausob)

**EDIT: removed (my mistake)

Top Tags