cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Solidworks to Pro/E converter

JohnMattson
1-Newbie

Solidworks to Pro/E converter

What recommendations would you have for a translation service for
converting Solidworks models to Pro/ENGINEER? We have about 2000
Solidworks models/drawings coming in from an acquisition and we want
then converted to Pro/E.

Thanks, John

This electronic message including any attachments ("Message") may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under trade secret and other applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, permanently delete all copies of this Message, and be aware that examination, use, dissemination, duplication or disclosure of this Message is strictly prohibited.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
17 REPLIES 17

Hello all -

I've been tasked to import some Solidworks files (parts, assemblies &
drawings) - do some stuff to them, and send them back out again in
Solidworks.

Need a converter.

Don't need sales calls - need experiences from the group if you'd care to
share.

Thanks!

Anthony R. Benitez

Senior Mechanical Designer

Drafting Supervisor

Applied Research Laboratories

The University of Texas at Austin

I tested the WF5 ATB on some simple Solidworks models and it appeared to
work well.

Please refer the information at URL *

Has anyone played with the SWX - Pro conversion software Kevin mentions below? If so how well does it work? We find ourselves in a partnership with a company using SWX and are looking for a painless way to share engineering data. I'd just download and test it myself, but only the 32-bit is available for download and we are all running 64-bit machines.

In Reply to Kevin Marett:

I tested the WF5 ATB on some simple Solidworks models and it appeared to
work well.

Please refer the information at URL *
https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=145366 *to import the
SolidWorks files in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0

I haven't used it until your post, but I gave it a shot. I was able to
directly open a SW 2012 part and assy with no issues with WF5 M130.
There are no features, only an 'import feature', just as if you had
imported a STEP or IGES. When it came up, the parts & assy in the tree
had funny purple icons:

Do you have any other information on this? Does the special icon mean
there is some associativity or other additional functionality involved?

I did not see any means of saving as a SW file, however.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Only what I've read on the exploder and the Pro-e document - CS17730. I've heard it should work well unless there are surface features in the model. The surface features will lose their associativity. I've read that SWX can import native Pro files without any plugins like this and export to Pro. I tried opening some files saved as Pro from SWX with no success. They looked normal but refused to open. I'm running WF5 M070. Just downloaded M140 so that I can run Solid Works Explorer with the hope of a nicer interface between our 2 worlds.

In Reply to Doug Schaefer:

I haven't used it until your post, but I gave it a shot.  I was able to
directly open a SW 2012 part and assy with no issues with WF5 M130.
There are no features, only an 'import feature', just as if you had
imported a STEP or IGES.  When it came up, the parts & assy in the tree
had funny purple icons:

Do you have any other information on this?  Does the special icon mean
there is some associativity or other additional functionality involved?

I did not see any means of saving as a SW file, however.

Doug Schaefer

Columbus, Ohio

bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:JohnMattson)

The purple icon means the geometry is imported with the Assiciative Topology Bus a.k.a. ATB functionality. This allow you to reimport an update geometry from SW and WF5 will replace all references, so features you have later have a better chance to survive the reimport.
Look for config options starting with atb_ to see what can be configured around the functionality.

/Bjarne

We import SW files quite frequently, so I thought I'd share a link to TPI 17730 and a power point presention I was sent from Tristar.

Remember to select the option to use templates when opening the files and use the ATB. When you now longer need to keep Proe/Creo associated with SW you can terminate the ATB link.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS17730

Best Regards,

Don Duncan

Applied Eningeering Services, Inc.

Idaho Falls, Idaho, 83401

joe_c
12-Amethyst
(To:JohnMattson)

Don

It seems is only available for 32bit OS? Anyone able to use it on 64bit
platforms

To open SoldiWorks files with 64bit Creo, I was required to install the 64bit SolidWorks viewer. This is available from the SolidWorks installation DVD. (You may be able to download it from SolidWorks if you were to contact their support or create an account on their site.)

All the best,
Jered

I acquired x64 SolidWorks Explorer from a SW user. While registering the software during the install, it decides to abort and rolls back the installation. I found this curious since I was under the impression a license key was not req'd. So I tried to install the 32-bit version downloaded directly from SW with identical results. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I sent an e-mail to SW to see what they can tell me, but have not heard back yet.

In Reply to Jered Larsen:

To open SoldiWorks files with 64bit Creo, I was required to install the 64bit SolidWorks viewer. This is available from the SolidWorks installation DVD. (You may be able to download it from SolidWorks if you were to contact their support or create an account on their site.)

All the best,
Jered

Hi there John,

I think I have a similar situation. Since you are talking about converting and not sharing information with SolidWorks, it doesn't sound like you need the ATB, which basically helps you if the Solidworks model is changed with respect to what you have in Pro/E.

I think your best bet is Creo 2, which will allow to open native Solidworks files. I don't believe that you even need Solidworks installed, but I haven't tested that. You will only get a neutral mile from Solidworks. It will not have features. You are on your own with the SolidWorks drawing. You will have to export that from SolidWorks as a neutral drawing and then open it back up in Pro/E (Creo), or just use PDF's. PTC's LMX tool is set up to associate 3D models to 2D drawings. This will allow you to associate your imported 2D drawing to your imported 3D model and they are associative.

I don't have all this stuff completely nailed down yet, but I'm open to bouncing ideas around.

Joshua Houser| Pelco by Schneider Electric |Buildings & Business| United States| MCAD Tools Administrator
Phone: +559-292-1981 ext. 3490| Toll Free: +800-289-9100 ext. 3490

I was talking with one of the customer today. He did mentioned that with Creo 2.0 he could open assemplies and parts. He did face some issues on Creo 1.0 but according to him Creo 2.0 imports better.

Regards,

Prashant

This is the response from SW support. Apparently the free download does not have all the files req'd to run the software. The links in his response contain all the req'd files. Sounds like they plan to correct the issue for the online free download, but that is just eh 32-bit version at this point.

"I have tested the download, and I have found the likely problem. There are a few pre-requisites for the installer to succeed, but they are not provided if SW Explorer is downloaded directly from the free products page. I have notified our development team about that error.

To get you going, please use the Installation Manager. It is a more sophisticated tool that manages downloads and installations. Here are the instructions:

Download the Installation Managers

http://tsftp.solidworks.com/SW2012_SP/SP2_IMs/sldimsp2-32.zip for 32-bit OS

http://tsftp.solidworks.com/SW2012_SP/SP2_IMs/sldimsp2-64.zip for 64-bit OS

username: tftp

password: passw0rd

Note: the "0" is zero

Follow these instructions for either installation.

1. Extract the zip file.

2. Double-click sldIM.exe

3. This will bring up the Installation Manager.

4. When prompted for a serial number, leave it blank and click next

5. Ok the warning. SW Explorer is a free product

6. Select the Free Products to install. The image below shows you just SW Explorer, but you can also install eDrawings if desired.

7.Notice that other files will now be installed. The IM will detect your configuration and download the missing pre-reqs for you. The screen cap below is from 32-bit XP. Windows 7 X64 will have different pre-reqs.

I had the same problem with the 32-bit viewer not working with the 64-bit verison of Proe/Creo (I'm so confused), in my situation AES had SW 2012 both 32 and 64 bit so I installed the later.

In October of last year when I did all this we had to contact Dassault Systems to get a license key and add the swdocmgr_license_key option to our config.pro, this is not required now. So I don't know if SWE 64-bit will work now or not, maybe someone else knows.

I do know that once you get it working and use the template and ATB options you still get import features but, I can deal with SW data effectively. The template option uses our start part/assembly files to import the data, so we get our datums, parameters etc. - saves a boat load of time.

I talked to the SLC PTC office yesterday and was told that Creo 2.0 has greatly improved this.

Best Regards, Don

I find the whole "cross software interoperability" quite curious. For us users it's been sold as a great thing to have the ability to use "whatever software"and transfer it to the other "whatever software". To compare this to other industries...think of Honda Racing openly sharing their race data with GM Motorsports or Pixar allowing a competitor to see the code for the hair in the new movie Brave.

What do you think the "thought bubbles" in the respective war roomsof PTC and SW that is at theroot of this functionality? On the surface, it seems to me that by allowing this freeway between user bases, the result is actually a detriment to both companies in the long run. That is unless there is an future unknown agenda.

hi Dustin. i followed your instructions, but when i double-click the sldIM.exe file the solidworks download mgr X64 pops up but nothing is there to select. and thoughts on what's happining?

John,

If you are running XP like me, A warning box shows up telling me to upgrade my OS, but I hit OK and it is good to go. Perhaps the warning box is hidden behind the main window? Try refreshing the window.

After the warning is okayed, you should see the welcome screen with an option box for the type of installation. If that isn't it, then I'm out of ideas.

In Reply to John Richardson:

hi Dustin. i followed your instructions, but when i double-click the sldIM.exe file the solidworks download mgr X64 pops up but nothing is there to select. and thoughts on what's happining?

Top Tags