cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Summary: Re-creating a WF5 Part in WF4

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Summary: Re-creating a WF5 Part in WF4

No ideas on simple ways, aside from GCRI, to get a WF5 part into WF4.  I was hoping for a nice copy paste solution, but it doesn't exist.  CGRI is nice, but a bit too cumbersome for my needs.

Here's what I learned about CGRI.  Yes, I was doing something wrong; I was trying to work on the same file in both versions.  You can't, or at least you shouldn't.  You need to keep the newer release version separate from the older.  This is at least how it works with WF4 & WF5 (and older as the docs I read referenced WF2 & WF3).  Maybe with newer releases it works better.

You can open the WF5 model directly in WF4 and you can add features to it.  However, if you then want to re-open it in WF5 you cannot simply grab the WF4 edited version and go.  That results in all features being un-editable.  You need to open the original, unmodified WF5 file and then use the 'graft' command (under the File menu) to browse to the WF4 edited file and the new WF4 features will be grafted into the WF5 model and all will be editable.  Every time you use the graft command, it adds all the WF4 features into the WF5 model, so you shouldn't use it more than once.

I did not figure out what that error message means.

A little cumbersome and easy to make a mess, so I'm sticking with a STEP export / import for files that don't need to change and remodeling in WF4 as needed.  That said, this is much better than the folks at SW have and which we had a while back, which is nothing.

--
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags