cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Symbols in Creo MBD - Display of symbols in the 2D drawing

wrathmann-2
6-Contributor

Symbols in Creo MBD - Display of symbols in the 2D drawing

Symbols from the symbol library are positioned in the 3D annotations on e.g. a combination state "Flat". This is important in order to have all information in the model (MBD).
If these symbols are "displayed" in a 2D drawing, the symbols are always created in the annotations in the new_view_1 (drawing tree).
If the position of the view: new_view_1 is changed in the drawing, all symbols are also moved on the drawing. This is not desired!
If there is no view in the drawing, the symbols created in 3D cannot be displayed.
If you add the symbols in the 2D drawing (detail), they are created in annotations below the views. The positions of the symbols do not change when a view is moved.
Why is this not possible for symbols that are integrated in the flat layer in MBD?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:wrathmann-2)

This is not the answer you are looking for and hopefully someone else can correct me if I am wrong here, but a while ago I was told by PTC that the "flat" state is not a MBD standard. Its something PTC added in but unless things have changed in the last couple of years I would not count on interoperability with other packages.

wrathmann-2
6-Contributor
(To:Chris3)

Thanks for the info.
Question: on which combination state should notes, texts, symbols or e.g. the drawing header (as a symbol - tables not feasible) be placed in order to fix them legibly during distribution via U3-PDF or STEP242?
Is there no fixed planar layer in the MBD "standard"?

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:wrathmann-2)

Again, hopefully someone with more MBD experience will correct me here. We have explored MBD but are not using it in the traditional sense yet.

The elements that a "flat" are not machine readable. IE a company logo has no impact on the way that the part gets measured. A note that say workmanship per CompanyDoc does nothing from a machine readable standpoint. From what I have seen these annotation elements are not included in the native CAD file but instead are part of a 3D PDF. If you work with a 3D PDF vendor they can help you construct a format and layout for notes, etc that lives in the 3D PDF file but not the step file.

wrathmann-2
6-Contributor
(To:Chris3)

The fact that the information created on a "flat" combination state is not integrated into the STEP or PDF file and is therefore not available to the customer, production or supplier is a problem.
Nevertheless, our aim is to write all information, including symbols and notes, into the 3D model in order to make the 3D model self-sufficient.
The 2D drawing is then derived completely - the information is only displayed here.
And here is the problem: the symbols from the 3D model annotations are always placed in the first view of the 2D detail.
How can this be prevented?
If you create the symbols in the 2D drawing, the symbols in the annotations are created outside a view (drawing tree) - that's how it should be.
If the symbols are attached to the views, it interferes when the position of the views is changed.

Top Tags