cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

To change appreance of component/assembly based on requirement in flexibility window

AS_10200338
4-Participant

To change appreance of component/assembly based on requirement in flexibility window

Hello All,

I am having a requirement to change the color/appearance of part/assembly with respect to requirement from flexibility window.

I am having only 1 model for cap as shown in image and it is having 2 part numbers differentiated by color code. 1-for Green and 1-for Red. I would like to change the colors from "Red" to "Green" or vice versa with the help of flexibility window when assembled it in its upper level assembly.

I am not sure which parameter does PTC Creo 7.0 has for appearance so that i can select that to add in CAP part, so when i am going to assemble this part in upper level assembly i can simply select color code/write in desired color code for my part to shown in that assembly.

I did not want to use creo family table/PTC_MATERIAL_NAME parameter/quilts(a new feature) for separate color because it has to be done on many assembly/part.

Kindly help, Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

I do not think that is is possible without adding additional surface features.

Martin Hanák

I think PTC must have thought about it for doing this in easy way or They may take this as a new feature to add in its next updates.

Waiting for some other answers from community if they have it.

As I learnt that this thing is not Possible was trying on different option.

If i made a multiple bodies in same part file...given them different colors and added them in family table with respective color instances...

Question is- I have used this part with pattern in its upper level assembly and want to use that upper level assy with flexible option of choosing different color instance from pattern in main assy...It is not allowing me select that head part in flexible varied items....  is this also not possible in creo ? @MartinHanak 

Hi,

I am sorry I have no idea whether you solution can work. You can ask PTC Support.

Martin Hanák

Creating a Family table would not be a good idea as the geometry remains the same. It may seem like a good solution but can create a headache when revising the component.

Instead, my suggestion would be to ...

1. create a part with no Color specs (unless the color is localized; then a region may be specified).
  2. Create Line Items in Windchill or whatever PDM software you use.
  3. Assign the part created with no color as an in-process part under the line item.

e.g. if Part B is Black and Part R is Red, with a common Geometry attained from Part A, then the line items would be thus.

1. Part B --> Part A
  2. Part R --> Part A
  3. ..
  4. ..

Where Part A would be controlled for Geometry and Parts B and R would specify only Colour in the PDM / PLM system. This also facilitates adding More Colours in future without having to Revise the Drawing or Part (Part undergoes revision when a family part is added).

If using Windchill, Parts B, R etc would be a Windchill WT part.

Top Tags