cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

What's new is old....lterally!

DeanLong
10-Marble

What's new is old....lterally!

Had a round fail today and guess what popped up? The old Redefine/Resolve Menu from Pre-Creo! I had it happen in all Wildfire revsinfrequently, and was not surprised that it did,as that was evolved code. But I was under the impression Creo was "All New" fun with new code with its own set of bugs. Apparently not so.... Maybe this is not news to you but I was surprised to see the old sub routine show up. I guess there is no real way to totally move legacy data into a new software without this type of thing happening.

I wonder if there is a straddling of old and new code depending on whether a feature is legacy or not? In other words, could a round that was created in Creo, that happens to fail, ever invoque to the old Redfine/Resolve sub routine from Wildfire?

Just lunch time pondering.....

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, the old code is still in there (as far as CE/P 5.0 anyway) All of the old feature menus come up for me also, variable rounds, etc... Of course this is only when editing a model that is about 10-15 years old or so.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:DeanLong)

CE/P 5.0 is still wildfire code, just a new splash screen, so it would have all of the old code that evolved up to that point.

Creo 1 and higher was supposed to be new code but I can see how some routines that PTC felt were robust enough were carried forward. Obviously if the MM is coming up, they 1) didn't look deep enough and 2) they carried MM code forward in the libraries.

It used to be fun to look at the string data in the Pro/E executable to see what was available. HP-UX "strings" command. Also good for finding infected Word documents. Strings is probably in cygwin.

It's probably against some license agreement to publish the string sets from various versions, but it should be OK to look. At least until executable and in-memory encryption is the norm.

Process Explorer from Windows SysInternals, a Microsoft suite of free aids, can display both the .exe and the in-memory strings. It's especially amusing when run against Notepad++. Process Explorer is also handy to tell if xtop.exe is actually doing anything or is just halted when it stops responding.

x

Creo Parametric is new code and all new models created from it are based on the new code. PTC had to include the old code routines in Creo Parametric to make sure the older models created in Pro/E Wildfire and earlier would open in Creo Parametric.

You only see this happen when you open a very old model that was created with the old code which makes sense.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Top Tags