cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

While making .stp or .igs files from Creo .asm file how to avoid data loss problems.

VinitKadamITT
6-Contributor

While making .stp or .igs files from Creo .asm file how to avoid data loss problems.

Hello Creo Community Team Members,

While making .stp or .igs file from Creo .asm file how to avoid data loss problems like surface losses, solid part become surface part.

I am having Creo .asm file, all the parts in that assembly are solid parts (here I mean to say, when I take section , it looks all the parts are solid/filled, no any hollow portion);

& when I save my assembly file as .stp & reopen that file in Creo & then I have taken the section it looks OK, means all the parts are inside solid/filled;

BUT when I open .igs file, it took long time to open & when I have taken the Section, it looks hollow part.

Please send me idea/tricks/standard procedure to avoid data loss problems while exporting Creo files to .igs or .stp files.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinit Kadam

ITT Corporation India Pvt Ltd.

2 REPLIES 2

My understanding is that IGES and STEP formats contain surface data only.  When you import one of these files, Creo takes the surfaces and converts them into a solid if it can find a solid volume.

However, if there are any errors in the translation process, the surface model may have small gaps, overlapping surfaces or other problem which prevent Creo detecting a closed volume, and so it doesn't automatically solidify.  If you modify the surfaces, either by manually creating surfaces and merging, or using Import Data Doctor, you can often then add a Solidify feature to end up with a solid component.

In some cases, simply altering the accuracy of the imported model may be enough to allow it to solidify.

In general I believe that STEP is less prone to errors than IGES, but I've often seen problems even with STEP when exporting / importing between two different CAD systems (Creo and Catia don't seem to play well together).  I'm surprised that you're getting problems re-importing a Creo export, though.

What is your default accuracy setting?

IGES is no more the Automotive Best Practice... currently it is STEP AP 214 and somewhere (VW, Daimler) it is JT.

ProSTEP iViP Association | Best Practices

Top Tags