cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

any one knows how to change 3D model reference in 2D drawing.

RahulSonawane
1-Newbie

any one knows how to change 3D model reference in 2D drawing.

Hi,

I want change 3D model reference in 2D drawing.

I have 2 to 3 similar components with different dimensions so I created drawing for one component, then I want to create another drawing for second component as it is same but different dimensions No I don't want to start drawing from beginning I just want to use drawing by reference change method like in (Solidworks & Inventor) so I can make another drawing in less time

Please help....

Rahul B Sonawane

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mender
6-Contributor
(To:RahulSonawane)

Depending on the exact desired results, here's a couple of possibilities:

1) A model that is the same but different dimensions sounds like it could be (perhaps should be) a family table instance.  If this is the case, you can copy the drawing file, retrieve the new one, and use Drawing Models > Replace to make this be a drawing of the new instance.  This way is good for linking them together so they'll continue to be similar.

2) Having a part OLD and drawing OLD, and wishing to make NEW + NEW, retrieve them into session, and use File>Manage File>Rename [In Session] to NEW+NEW (perhaps employing the config rename_drawings_with_object to save clicks), save these.  Then make whatever changes in the new models that you like.  This way is good if you actively *don't* want them to be linked, for instance the old part is locked down as a released model.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mender
6-Contributor

Depending on the exact desired results, here's a couple of possibilities:

1) A model that is the same but different dimensions sounds like it could be (perhaps should be) a family table instance.  If this is the case, you can copy the drawing file, retrieve the new one, and use Drawing Models > Replace to make this be a drawing of the new instance.  This way is good for linking them together so they'll continue to be similar.

2) Having a part OLD and drawing OLD, and wishing to make NEW + NEW, retrieve them into session, and use File>Manage File>Rename [In Session] to NEW+NEW (perhaps employing the config rename_drawings_with_object to save clicks), save these.  Then make whatever changes in the new models that you like.  This way is good if you actively *don't* want them to be linked, for instance the old part is locked down as a released model.

Thanks A lot Mathew,

No 2 solution regards to my work.

This is very help full to me now I can save the both model & drawing by this method, actually I am using same drawing for new component which same like existing so I need to just change the dwg no. for both now it work But one problem is there my dimensions & annotations are not there only model dimension remain manual dimensions are gone is there any solution to keep them please let me know.

But once again Thank a lot now Its Saves my Half of time for create new drawing.

Thanks & Regards,

Rahul B Sonawane

mender
6-Contributor

Glad to help!  Regarding the problem about created/driven dimensions, I can't think of a reason offhand that that would happen.  Perhaps you could have Tech Support make an SPR so I can see your workflow in action, and then I could take a look at it.

Top Tags