cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

component installation quandry - SUMMARY

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

component installation quandry - SUMMARY

---- original question

I need to figure out how we are going to install a particular component in an assembly where things are tight.  What's the best method for determining and showing this?  So far, I'm assembling the component in various positions, and will show each position separately.  I'm afraid I'll miss potential interferences along the way.  Are there better ways of doing this?

---- responses

I have built curves before that represents the path to get the parts in and out.  then  placed two points on the curve that are controlled by a formula so the distance between the points are constant.  I then place two points in the bottom of the assembly that are at the distance as the two points on the curve.  it is crude but a work around

---

If you assemble the component using Mechanism constraints you will be able to perform a Mechanism Analysis 'Playback' that will stop the component if it encounters a collision or interference situation.  This requires the user to have the configuration file option enable_advance_collision set to a value of yes as well as the Collision Detection Settings dialog box options 'Global Collision Detection' and 'Stop When Colliding' selected before executing the Mechanism Analysis 'Playback'.

If you don't want to haggle with creating a Mechanism Analysis you can still get the benefits of what I described while dynamically dragging your component within the Mechanism module once you have selected the 'Global Collision Detection' and 'Stop When Colliding' options from the dialog box I referenced in my previous response.  It will still require the enable_advance_collision configuration file option to be included in your personal config.pro file and set to a value of yes.

---

In the past, I played these "games" of trying to determine is something would "snake" thru a passage for installation.  I used Mechanism to move my part thru my assembly and used an analysis feature of the clearance between parts to run a mechanism analysis.  (Sorry, not in front of a system with Pro/E, so my terminolgy might be a bit off).  This would produce excell graphs of the clearnce thru the defined mechanism movement.   Took a bit to do, but I would save off mpg files for documentation, along with the clearance graphs of course.  On, some simpler assembly issues, I would create motion envelopes and then check that it would fit into the assembly.  OR, the opposite, create a surface copy of the "passage way" and then confirm the part could run thru it...

I was pretty good at it, but sadly out of practice.  I do remember trying to keep it as SIMPLE as possible.  My goal wasn't to define the fastest, or most "elegant" installation that a real live human hand would do, but to simply prove that there was enough space to move the part into position, even if that meant it was being done by a robot with no joints!    I tried to keep things straight if possible, it's much easier to set up movements horizontal, and veritical and lateral then to do some neat looking arc, or spline...   I remember set ups like "in", down", in more, down more, rotate 45, in, down, over, rotate...   that sorta stuff.  good luck... I do remember I thought it was "fun", but then I do have a "unique view" on most things...

---

finding interference
Under the analysis tab you'll find global interference there are (4) choices, they all work well and have difference ways to find and measure interference.

assembly flexibility
Insert a point by dimension and an axis in your assembly, do the same in model your cramming in. With an axis and a datum creo2 will assume the 3rd constraint. While in the assembly dashboard you can mess with model orientation, push pull and rotate. Creo2 will let you leave the component under-defined (not a good habit to leave a model lost in space...but...). You can then set your model to active and add points, axis and datums to your model to firm up the position, once you find one. Just beware of circular reference.

repeat is also a handy when more than one instance is needed, you only need to select one of the references to place a new instance. Right click on model in model tree and select repeat from drop down menu.

---- end responses

My situation turned out to be more readily resolved using my original idea than I had thought, so I didn't try any of these suggestions - yet.  I'll give them a try as time permits.  They all look excellent, and I thank all of you for taking the time to answer.

Kind regards,
Janet Grove

----------

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:JLG)

I got one more response. Thanks again to all!

Top Tags