cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

cross hatching in drafting

gtrude
1-Newbie

cross hatching in drafting

Does anyone know how I cross hatch an area on a drawing? I want to show an area for texturing on my part, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use entities from my part (i.e. edges) to cross hatch an area on my drawing. I see the hatch / fill command, but it seems I can only use this on entities I created in 2D, not items from a part.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
lwh
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:gtrude)

It depends on what You really want and/or how You want to define it.

In most of these cases, the most flexible way is to use a cosmetic in the part itself which can easily use existing geometry and will be independent of drawing views etc.

When creating something in the drawing only, You have to sketch the whole closed (!) shape, referring to the existing geometry, which can be model dependent (even updating automatically), but is not as reliable as a cosmetic.

I agree with Harald. That isthe methodI have always used. Create a cosmetic feature in the model using the edges you need as the border for the crosshatching.

you can also use the sketching tools availible in the drawing itself. you can set the selection tool to be parametric so that it should remember the geometry reference picks in the view you're wanting to add hatching to, that's handy for if you change something it's supposed to grow or shrink with the changes and you can also set it to drawi the lines as a chain so there's less clicks when you go to actually draw. what you're pretty much going to do is trace the outline you want and after that's completed you select the all the lines you've just made and when you right click you should have hatching as a selection. it will ask for a section name and after that you just accept. the hatch tool palate will open and yoiu can modify the hatch from there.
Top Tags