cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

generative design safety factor optimization

ErikClacey
12-Amethyst

generative design safety factor optimization

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of work in the generative design module and I find that Using the Design criteria Minimize mass and a specified safety factor takes much longer to find a solution for than compared to specifying a mass target. It can in some cases be 20hrs vs 1.5hrs ( highest study setting as it is for a final part). It this normal and for my understanding, why? The same seems to apply if I ever try the modal study settings.

Looking at the task manager I see that the optimization switches between 100% CPU followed by 100% GPU and then back, so I presume different optimization tasks run on different hardware. 

4 REPLIES 4
ProFeature
13-Aquamarine
(To:ErikClacey)

Hi,

There are two different types of optimizations.

If you include geometry and manufacturing constraints to optimize for maximum stiffness, you can argue that the time will increase.

In optimization, time is less important than the quality of the results obtained.

Thanks

I'm also experiencing the same issue, but it seems to be taking upwards of 50+ hours to finish (and rarely converging successfully) when using the safety factor optimisation. Generally I find it's only worthwhile on very basic optimisations, and even then it's faster to just iterate down with the mass target optimisation, and check the safety factor is appropriate in the "Display simulation results".

Quite disappointing really, and negates all the advertised benefits.

Y_Yoely
12-Amethyst
(To:DanB_uk)

Hi @DanB_uk 

Which version of Creo are you using? Can you share the model?
Have you tried contacting customer support?

DanB_uk
3-Visitor
(To:Y_Yoely)

Hi, this is in Creo 10.0.1.0, and it's been brought up with our PTC representative but unfortunately no resolution. Happy to try through formal customer support as well though

Top Tags