cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

giving assemblies new names

ThomasPhore
3-Visitor

giving assemblies new names

I would like to branch development of a project/assembly with each of the two versions having different names but both all based on all the parts I currently have in existing assembly.

Can anyone give me tips on how to rename an assembly and all of the parts inside of it (including all the old versions of the parts that Pro/E automatically accumulates) without having to redefine placements because the assembly is looking for old part names etc?

For example, let's say I had some assembly "assembly2010.asm" that was made up of a bunch of different "subassembly2010_x.asm" and "part2010_x.prt". And let's say I wanted to branch development with a version of it called "assembly2011.asm" made up of "subassembly2011_x.asm" and "part2011_x.prt".

What's the best way of doing this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Thomas,

use Save a Copy command to create a copy of your assembly. You can configure this command to use existing components or create new components.

Martin

Martin Hanák

When I do "Save A Copy" it only seems to save copies of parts that I change the names of. This is ok for many parts, but many of the parts already have good names and I really do not want to create new names for parts that are going to be the same between both versions of my assembly.

I basically would like to create a clone of my current assembly into a new directory and with some parts (ie parts, assembliy, subassembly, etc) being given new names but others just being copied over.

Is there any way to do this?

The only way I currently know of saving entire assemblies with all the parts within them together in one swoop is by saving the assembly as a zip file. But this option doesn't let you change any names of parts in the assembly. I would both like to change names and also have one copy of each part within the assembly be saved to new directory.

I wrote a utility to do precisely this. It does not support WF5 (yet), because there was a change in the file formats at that point, and I haven't had time to devote to this. For now the util is a free, full-function demo. Please contact me off-list.

Ben Franklin

Ben@FranklinDataConsulting.com

Dammit I'm on WF5.

Any suggestions on the least tedious approach to getting the same results?

Just saving the whole thing as winzip into new directory, then "Save Copy" to get the new names in, then opening the new-named assembly from the new directory and winzipping a second time in order to exclude unused parts but get all of the new-named parts together with all the reused parts? Seems quite ridiculous. Sure wish I could use the utility you wrote.

To copy all of the files to a new location you can use backup. The version numbers do get reset. You can then rename what you need to using rename with your top level assembly in session or use save a copy to make new parts and assemblies with new names.

Top Tags