cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

question about STEP file exporting and data modeling

lgüthle
1-Newbie

question about STEP file exporting and data modeling

hello

I am using PTC Creo to create 3D models and I want to export those models to a STEP-file. Thus I would like to know, which Application protocol suits best for my industry.

I am in the steam turbine industry... so maybe AP 242? ISO 10303-242:2014 - Industrial automation systems and integration -- Product data representation and exchange -- Part 2…

But what if I notice that there are some information which get lost in the process of exporting my Creo 3D models to STEP-file.

Can I extend or write my own Application protocol using EXPRESS (data modeling language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia‌‌ ?

Thanks

regards

Luis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

this depends on what you are attempting to accomplish with these translations.

Normally, AP203 is sufficient to carry any geometry transference concerns.

What may be in question when you speak of turbines; specifically if you are making the blades.

This may require sending GD&T data or Inspection requirements so a different AP may be required.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:lgüthle)

From Olaf's site; these are your choices. AP242 is the new one which is not supported as far as I know.

step_export_format

ap203_is* (the default in 3D mode), ap214_cd (the default in drawing mode), ap202_is, 203_is_ext, ap214_dis, ap209_dis, ap214_is, ap203_e2

Determines the format when you export 3D model and drawing data to STEP. This configuration option is available as the STEP export format 3D data exchange setting in the PTC Creo Parametric Options dialog box.

ap202_is - Exports the drawing using the AP202IS STEP application protocol and conformance class.

ap203_is - Exports a 3D model using the ISO 10303 AP203IS STEP application protocol and conformance class.

203_is_ext - Exported file includes AP203 validation properties by default. To include AP203 extensions by default in the file that you are exporting to STEP, set the step_export_format configuration option to 203_is_ext. Setting step_export_format to 203_is_ext, exports data to a STEP file that conforms to the International Standard of STEP with the following extensions:

o cla - Colors and layers

o gvp - Geometric Validation

o ast - Associative Text

ap203_e2 - Exports the nongeometric data of the 3D models using the AP203 ED2 STEP application protocol and conformance class. The nongeometric data includes the material name and density, the geometric and the assembly validation properties, and the user-defined parameters. This includes the functionality in ap203_is_ext. The ap203_e2 format exports annotations by default.

ap214_cd - Exports the drawing using the AP214CD2 STEP application protocol and conformance class. Formats the output with geometry that meets the specification for the schema for AP214 cc1.

ap214_dis - Exports the drawing using the AP214DIS STEP application protocol and conformance class. Validation properties are also exported.

ap209_dis - Exports the 3D model using the AP209DIS STEP application protocol and conformance class. Edges, boundary conditions, constraints, loads, mesh, and mid planes data are not supported for export.

ap214_is - Exports the 3D model using the AP214IS STEP application protocol and conformance class. Supports the exchange of nongeometric data and graphical annotations. The nongeometric data includes the material name and density, the geometric and the assembly validation properties, and the user-defined parameters. The assembly validation property verifies the number of child components of the assembly. You must explicitly set the intf3d_out_annotations configuration option to yes for the ap214_is format to export annotations.

I do have a comprehension question:

1. I save a *.prt-file in creo 2.0 as *.stp
  2. If i re-import this *.step-file I get my geometric-shape but without the geometric size (e.g. length).
    • To get the size, I would have to recalculate it via "analysis > measure"

This is because the STEP-file does save the geometric-shape in coordinates-form and thus is unable to tell a parameter like "length" (as I already said, it would have to re-calculate it)?!

Is this correct?

Top Tags