cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

.sym files unavailable after upgrade (Creo 6 -> Creo 10)

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

.sym files unavailable after upgrade (Creo 6 -> Creo 10)

We recently completed an upgrade from Creo 6 to Creo 10.

One of the items I failed to test/verify was our custom symbols. After all, decades of using .sym files for symbols and all that.

Now I can't see any of the .sym files.

Drag and drop doesn't work (not a recognized file type).

I can open the 'Define Symbols' menu through the annotate tab and I can edit symbols through what looks like the old interface. Saving them just iterates the .sym file and still doesn't allow me to use them on drawings.

I've been searching, and will continue to search, for instructions on what to do. I'm just sure PTC would have had the foresight to provide with this change. /s

What am I missing? Anyone have a quick link or easy fix for my predicament? Was it some config I scrubbed out during the upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Browsing for symbols in the  pro_symbol_dir still works for me in Creo Parametric 10.0.2.0:

Annotate (tab) > Annotations (group) > Symbol > Symbols (menu) > Browse Symbols:

Screenshot 2023-12-12 093013.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:DonSenchuk)

Do you have pro_symbol_dir set to the folder where your symbols are?

Yes, I have pro_symbol_dir set.

I can also navigate to that folder and the .sym files don't show up. The filter only allows .drw files.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:DonSenchuk)

Sounds like you are looking for a symbol pallet which is a drawing file. Starting with Creo 8 the symbol interface changed. The user symbols are now graphically displayed rather than in a folder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZeh9MGxgs 

I just started testing how to create my own symbol pallet .drw.

What a pain.

Thanks for the link. Once I find some free time to verify this is the only path forward I'll come back and report if yours is the only solution.

Thanks for the link.

Browsing for symbols in the  pro_symbol_dir still works for me in Creo Parametric 10.0.2.0:

Annotate (tab) > Annotations (group) > Symbol > Symbols (menu) > Browse Symbols:

Screenshot 2023-12-12 093013.png

You're my hero.

I simply overlooked that drop-down.

Top Tags