cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Custom light scenes

AndreaT
12-Amethyst

Custom light scenes

Hello community, I've started to add some custom light scenes in the lightsscenes.xml

Has anyone experienced this already?

I mean there are some settings that are not fully explained in the help, for example the difference between "ambient_adjust" (in the main definition of the lightscene) and "adj_ambient" (in the definition of the light itself).

Or other best practices in positions, orientations, etc..

I'm not fully happy with the default that comes with the application so I'm doing some tests and wondering if anyone has already done something to be shared, at least some experience 😉

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The "adj_ambient/diffuse/specular" are intensity modifiers.

I would personally recommend you leave them out unless you really want to try and adjust the intensity for each color.

To be honest I always recommend using the 'Save as new light scene" option in the edit light scene dialog rather than editing the xml.

Save as new light scene.png 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:AndreaT)

Quote: "The light scenes in this XML file load on startup. For editing instructions, see LightScenes XML File in the Creo Illustrate Installation and Configuration Guide".

Additional links to the help center:

AndreaT
12-Amethyst
(To:VladimirN)

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm reading.

But in some cases I don't find it that complete.

For example, as I was writing before, the difference between some fields and how they actually appear in Illustrate.

We can see the definition of ambient_adjust and then adj_ambient..

I assume the first reflects on the values of the sliders in the illustration (and those fields control all the lights) instead the others control the single light?

It's not so immediate to understand and it takes a lot of time to check the single settings and how they change in the illustration.

AndreaT_0-1638346345699.png

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:AndreaT)

@agarland Could you please take a look?

The "adj_ambient/diffuse/specular" are intensity modifiers.

I would personally recommend you leave them out unless you really want to try and adjust the intensity for each color.

To be honest I always recommend using the 'Save as new light scene" option in the edit light scene dialog rather than editing the xml.

Save as new light scene.png 

Hope this helps.

AndreaT
12-Amethyst
(To:agarland)

Thanks @agarland , this claryfies my question.

Usually we'd go with the "Save as" but we want to also to go deeper into evaluating different light angles and combination between scene/view option of the single lights.

For some illustrations is definitely better to have a light always from the view perspective.

Do you know if a visual editor will ever be implemented? Maybe in the new Administration Tool?

Would be a nice addition in my opinion

Hi Andrea,

There are no plans to make an enhancement like this at the moment but it would be worth creating a Product Idea.

We do monitor the ideas posted and may consider it for a future enhancement.

Thanks

Adrian

Thank you for the answer!

Top Tags