cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Assembly Interfaces in Simulation

D_Hale
7-Bedrock

Assembly Interfaces in Simulation

All

I've taken some of the introductions to CREO Simulation applications including Ansys and their own internal application. I've been trying to apply this in my designs, and have had good success in optimizing parts designed individually.

I'm working on incorporating analysis into assemblies to get a better idea of how forces from one part transfer to an adjoining component.

D_Hale_2-1705703715048.png

For the above simulation, the assembly constraint for the lever arm was a "Pin" with rotational limits that went past the point of contact.

Additionally, 3D Contacts were added for the lever-CAM-radius and the flat surface they would be contacting.

Note however all the force from the lever is being transmitted into the block at the first junction (Red Circles), and not at the lever-CAM contact points (Orange Circles.)

Is this a problem with:

- Assembly constraints?

- Mechanism setup?

- My expectations for Live Simulation?

Appreciate any insight!

Dave

1 REPLY 1

I don't use Live Simulation but my understanding is that it is a bit indeterminate on how it interconnects. My experience at least, when it came out and I did a free evaluation was that parts connected to each other when they were within a certain proximity to each other and not necessarily touching. I was unaware that it understood joint connections from the mechanism side. Regular simulate does not understand those mechanism connections. They have to be defined separately in Simulate. It looks to me in your image that the lever just bonded/welded to the base at the whole Z plane. This makes me think simulate Live also does not use the mechanism definitions to make connections. Assuming simulate does not incorporate the mechanism definitions, If I was modelling this I would add some geometry, friction, or constraint to keep the pin joint in place in the Z direction. Otherwise the pin might work its way out of the hole. I would have the connections default to free, and define contacts between the pin cylinders and at those orange-circled cam surfaces. I might try turning on friction at the pin contacts to stop Z movement, or I would extend the pin through and put a surface representing a nut/washer on the end and define contact on both z planes on each side of the pin rivet / fastener. Marked with C for contact in the image.

SweetPeasHub_0-1705929842565.png

Top Tags