cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Beam continuity is destroyed by rigid and weighted links

ilyachaban
12-Amethyst

Beam continuity is destroyed by rigid and weighted links

Hello, I've been trying to simulate one interesting case in which i did stuck. 
Here is an image of what i've been trying to achieve

ilyachaban_0-1709300647537.png

Here is an example of using advanced rigid link beam is discontinued after first rigid link is applied

ilyachaban_5-1709301150202.png

ilyachaban_6-1709301164013.png

Here is an example of using advanced spring (point to suface(projection)). It is deforming in wrong direction 

ilyachaban_3-1709300972600.png

ilyachaban_4-1709301012301.png

ilyachaban_2-1709300913355.png

Can you help me solve this mystery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The mystery is that nodes on solid elements only have 3 dof and links to them will receive this limitation from them. This means that the selection of rotational dof on the advanced rigid link have no effect. It is also quite easy to create dof conflicts and unconstrained conditions when using links.

SweetPeasHub_0-1715171494946.png

Add an intermediate rigid link between your original links and the beam that is point to point and the rotational dof are now in effect and can be free. Chaining links like this is not unusual in FEM.

SweetPeasHub_1-1715171711980.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Looks like all models hasn't been uploaded so here it is again

fdio-2
6-Contributor
(To:ilyachaban)

Do you mean like this?

7c53a2b4-eb80-4cb6-9aa8-62d68040cbfe.png

These is my boundary conditions and I only use sketches, points and no solid model

ilyachaban_0-1709300647537.png

ilyachaban
12-Amethyst
(To:fdio-2)

yes,exactly how you've shown it.
but i have to attach beam to solid geometry by some kind of a link

The mystery is that nodes on solid elements only have 3 dof and links to them will receive this limitation from them. This means that the selection of rotational dof on the advanced rigid link have no effect. It is also quite easy to create dof conflicts and unconstrained conditions when using links.

SweetPeasHub_0-1715171494946.png

Add an intermediate rigid link between your original links and the beam that is point to point and the rotational dof are now in effect and can be free. Chaining links like this is not unusual in FEM.

SweetPeasHub_1-1715171711980.png

As you are saying it is unusual to use chained linka but it will work for this.
For now I've used solid beam with ridig link on central points and than via spring i've connected solid 3d beam to solid 3d geometry. It takes alot of elements but it was also working

Top Tags