cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Simulate, through thickness average stress also called membrane stress

gmarjason
1-Newbie

Simulate, through thickness average stress also called membrane stress

Hi,

I am running Creo 3 Simulate, I am trying to determine the stress within the walls of a pressure vessel from external pressure, linear Von Mises has been run successfully, but we are now instructed to do membrane average stress, my question, is this possible and a different output menu pick for the analysis run. I am relatively new to Simulate.

thanks anyone

Geoff.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

If you have a shell model, then you can request shell membrane and/or  shell bending stress results. This basically means that the stress in the shell is a combination of a tensile, or "membrane"-stress plus a bending stress, and Creo can separate these two and report the results individually. For shell elements the stress distribution through the shell is assumed to be linear. This is true for "thin", relatively flat structures.

If you are running a solid model, (more appropriate for "thick" structures), the resulting stress distribution through the thickness might not be linear. Then you can request linearized results. This means that the actual stress distribution is approximated with a linear distribution that gives the same section force/moment as the actual distribution. From this linearized stress result you get the membrane stress (i.e. pure tensile/compressive component) and bending component.

The reason (I think) for separating the stress distribution into membrane and bending components, is that norms/standards such as ASME, Norske Veritas etc, require bending and membrane stresses to be evaluated differently.

See help/support documentation for "linearized stress results" or "linearized stress query"...

Top Tags