cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

"Cannot process highlighted contacting surfaces"

DeadbeatJeff
3-Visitor

"Cannot process highlighted contacting surfaces"

I’m trying to run an FEA on a fixed support beam, I replaced all the bolts with “intelligent fasteners”. I keep getting the “cannot process highlighted contacting surface” error

8 REPLIES 8

Articles:

Discussion - "Contact surface area error": https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Contact-surface-area-error/m-p/326502

Thanks so much for replying!

I had already seen the first two posts.

I will try the Refine Model > Beam option, and see what results from it.

Thanks again for replying.

I created the beam (I think correctly), but it didn't seem to help.

Any additional assistance would be appreciated.

can you make better screenshots?

Thanks so much for replying!

Certainly, I can post better screenshots. Please let me know if you would like more/better still screenshots.

Sorry, man, but you have black model with black edges. There is still 0 visibility on the problematic region. try changin model color to white/light gray. take a screenshot without first part than without the other. Describe problematic region in text and include simulation features applied to them. What kind of interface you are using. Most of the time those are tangential surfaces. But can't prove it from those screenshots.

Problem understood.

What you are looking at are 3 40mm x 40mm aluminum profiles with 2 heavy-duty (HD) corner brackets holding them together. I am attaching screenshots and a .zip with a SolidWorks assembly (the assembly is imported into CREO). I will work on better screenshots of the actual highlighted surface of the profile.

I thank you for all your assistance.

I am unable to open the cad file for the 40x40 extrusions.

The first thing I noticed was very different part and assembly accuracies. It is best if they are all set to 0.01mm. This could very well be your issue. Make sure coincident surfaces are actually coincident and there are no interferences.

Tools - Tolerance report will show all the tolerances.

I downloaded new 40x40 cad from McMaster Carr.

When I model only the 3 extrusions and corner braces and set the default interface to bonded, the model works great.

I am using Creo 10.0.0.0

The T-nuts were not in contact with the rails in my model, and they had interference with the bolts.

SweetPeasHub_1-1689602892309.png

SweetPeasHub_0-1689602845072.png

t-nut moved into contact

SweetPeasHub_2-1689603401919.png

Nut sized to match bolt

SweetPeasHub_3-1689603488358.png

Of course a more accurate model would have contacts and preloaded bolts, rather than just bonding, but you should walk before you run.

I would probably just have contacts at the brackets and bonded at the bolt/nut as shown below.

SweetPeasHub_0-1689607805831.png

Top Tags