cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Arbortext Publishing Engine End of Product Support on Solaris and Linux

SusanFort
1-Newbie

Arbortext Publishing Engine End of Product Support on Solaris and Linux

Hello,

This message is intended to point customers to the formal communication
regarding PTC's end-of-product support for Arbortext(r) Publishing
Engine(tm) on Solaris(r) and Linux(r) Operating Systems beginning with
Arbortext Publishing Engine 6.0.

Please refer to this Customer Support Bulletin:

1 REPLY 1

This also affects Arbortext Editor and therefore Print Composer as well.

The announcement states the decision is based on a review of product downloads and support calls. It seems to me that a more reliable indication would be obtained by looking at the number of active licenses for these products. Many customers do not update these products on a frequent basis for valid reasons (we are still on 5.2 M130), but they do renew their maintenance agreements year after year. There is no need to frequently download new versions, and the lack of support calls could be interpreted as an indicator of the stability of the products in use. (If I were of a cynical nature, I could say this decision to force customers off Solaris and Linux will likely increase PTC's Services revenue significantly.)

There are many good reasons for using Solaris and Linux environments to publish large and complex documents, foremost being the stability of these OSs.

PTC needs to re-think this plan and consult more effectively with their Arbortext customers before moving forward with this.

David S. Taylor

Project Manager, Structured Information
Institute for Research in Construction
National Research Council Canada
Bldg. M-23A, Room 239
1200 Montreal Road, Ottawa, ON K1A 0R6
Top Tags